soapdragon

Any Sailors Out There?

OH was a qual RYA instructor when I met him 30+ years ago and he sailed a Merlin Rocket on the Thames at Goring. I got involved for a few years tho I hated racing and only enjoyed crewing in fair weather. Following a dingy trip OH took the boys on from Oxwich, Gower at the end of last summer they now have the sailing bug (agh!) and we have rejoined our old club. Our boat is long gone but ES and YS are very keen to learn and the season starts tomorrow for the youth group from 10 til 12. 

Set me wondering; does anyone else on the forum (or family thereof) sail or what other activities are your 'yoofs' into!?

I should add that, at the advanced age of 53, I now only board a boat with a loo, a bar or, for preference, both - hey, someone has to remain on the bank to take the photos ;)

I was a sailing, then windsurfing ‘widow’ for many, many years. OH was sailing secretary at the local sailing club ( on the Thames) sailing a Firefly, and we had Merlin Rockets!  The 3 boys and my DD grew up in boats, but graduated to windsurfing as teenagers.  Much more exciting!  The oldest Son was very, very good and won many awards.  When he and his wife emigrated to Australia, he made it to the national team.  Alas, he couldn’t keep it up AND support a family, but they now have a yacht and my two grandchildren sail Optimists.   Of the others, they sail and windsurf on holidays mainly.  So yes, they all kept up their childhood interest.  I stay on the beach and watch! 

Patricia W - with the Franco Manca/museum connection and now the Merlin sailing stuff it's all getting rather spooky! Do PM me when you are back from hols!

The boys had a fab time last Saturday and are looking forward to this weekend too. YS was out in an Opie but no idea about the rope that works the sail (technical term!) but just enjoyed pootling via the tiller! ES rigged a Laser Pico but had it nabbed and ended up in a Topper which he just about managed to concertina himself into! I ended up in the kitchen on bacon butty/tea duty! 

Now we have a strategy; next Sat we belt down and rig up and get the boys out on the water! OH is hoping that there might be a Merlin out as well, just for old times sake! We'll miss the Royal wedding but it will be much more fun!

I did the Level 1 RYA Dinghy Sailing course many, many years ago ... never did any more.  Then my friends bought a 28 foot Jaguar a couple of years ago, and we usually go out on it when I visit them.  I love it, I don't really understand what I'm doing but my friend's partner shouts which rope to pull, or tells me what to steer for, and I really enjoy it - it's so peaceful once you've got the sails up and the engine off.  We had an absolutely brilliant day last Bank Holiday weekend, perfect weather and we just sailed up the river and back.  I'm hoping there will be many more trips, they are really pleased that I enjoy it as much as they do.

No captain turns down a willing crew! Sounds wonderful - hope you get out on the water again soon!

ES and YS had a wonderful time last Saturday and are looking forward to tomorrow! It was hard to get them off the water! I understand that there will be more bacon buttys to make too so I won't be at a lose end!