AndyRoo

Eglu for ducks?

I'm thinking of getting some Campbell ducks for the garden (because the eggs are great for baking with) and I'd like to solicit opinions: how good are Eglus when it comes to ducks?

I want to keep 4 and they're quite heavy breeds as ducks go, so I'm wondering how well an Eglu would accommodate them?

Also, do you have to remove the roosting bars for the ducks?

My friends surprised me with a pair of white Campbell hybrid type ducks for my 18th which lived in our Eglu Go and got on really well. We now have a trio of Call Ducks in there.

You will need to remove the roosting bars for ducks as they don't roost - the Go gives more room than the Classic as it doesn't have the high nesting box.
The Classic states 2-4 ducks but I think 3 would be a better number. I'm sure 4 would fit and I know 4 hybrid hens do comfortably; I've never given it much thought and I'm not at home to go and look to help me decide :lol: 

15 minutes ago, Lewis said:

My friends surprised me with a pair of white Campbell hybrid type ducks for my 18th which lived in our Eglu Go and got on really well. We now have a trio of Call Ducks in there.

You will need to remove the roosting bars for ducks as they don't roost - the Go gives more room than the Classic as it doesn't have the high nesting box.
The Classic states 2-4 ducks but I think 3 would be a better number. I'm sure 4 would fit and I know 4 hybrid hens do comfortably; I've never given it much thought and I'm not at home to go and look to help me decide :lol: 

Yes, I think I'd probably go for the Go. I've been interested since I found out for some friends who are local breeders that ducks are nowhere near as aquatic as they're made out to be, so you can give them a paddling pool and they're happy. I wanted Campbells specifically because they're (apparently) good egg layers and don't really fly any more than chickens attempt to!

I think they're really cute. My concern with ducks is mainly the noise.