sarkymite

Runny nose

Hi all,

I recently added to my flock with 2 araucanas (a lavender and a bantam rumpless). If the seller is correct about age, the lavender one is about 15 weeks old now. She's really quite petite and perhaps a little skinny. The rumpless we think is older, perhaps 20 weeks. She's very healthy looking, nice solid body which doesn't feel bony (yet not fat either) and is actually currently slightly bigger than the lavender despite being a bantam.

So, the lavender has a runny nose. It's a clear, runny nasal discharge. I notice it in the evenings (she is a cuddler and likes to spend half an hour on my shoulder just before bed) but can't say I've noticed it during the day. She sneezes occasionally (not enough that I'd be worried if it was only sneezing), and this evening I noticed that she was a little wheezy after she had fallen asleep. The wheeze stopped when she woke up again.

Her poop is normal, she displays all normal chicken behaviours  (other than the cuddling!!) has a decent appetite and drinks well. 

Any ideas? The other new hen is fine, as are my 4 older hybrids (they have all come into contact). She's such a darling- I don't want her to get ill!!

Sorry not much advice but I'm sure I've heard of citricidal for runny noses: might be spelt wrongly. It's mentioned in the first aid thread on here. And omlet sells it.

Hope you get some good advice on here and that she gets better fast. She sounds lovely!

Edited by Natspringy

Thank you- I will look that up.

I think the other thing to do is pamper her a bit- good food etc so she gains some weight and has plenty of energy for fighting if it is an infection of some sort. So project feed-up will begin today!

She really is very sweet, I can't decide if she thinks I'm a mother hen or whether she thinks she's a human. She preens me and will sit for ages having the back of her head rubbed. She sometimes tries to snuggle into my top in the way a chick will get under mother's feathers and she jumps straight up onto my shoulders if I sit down outside!

12 hours ago, sarkymite said:

Hi all,

I recently added to my flock with 2 araucanas (a lavender and a bantam rumpless). If the seller is correct about age, the lavender one is about 15 weeks old now. She's really quite petite and perhaps a little skinny. The rumpless we think is older, perhaps 20 weeks. She's very healthy looking, nice solid body which doesn't feel bony (yet not fat either) and is actually currently slightly bigger than the lavender despite being a bantam.

So, the lavender has a runny nose. It's a clear, runny nasal discharge. I notice it in the evenings (she is a cuddler and likes to spend half an hour on my shoulder just before bed) but can't say I've noticed it during the day. She sneezes occasionally (not enough that I'd be worried if it was only sneezing), and this evening I noticed that she was a little wheezy after she had fallen asleep. The wheeze stopped when she woke up again.

Her poop is normal, she displays all normal chicken behaviours  (other than the cuddling!!) has a decent appetite and drinks well. 

Any ideas? The other new hen is fine, as are my 4 older hybrids (they have all come into contact). She's such a darling- I don't want her to get ill!!

Hi,

I have a Splash Maran who also had the same symptons as your Lavender Araucanas. I bought her at 16/20 weeks old and not long after arriving she started to sneeze, had a clear runny nose and also started wheezing but not constantly .I changed the bedding thinking it was causing it but in the end after trying different tonics and health powders and from the advice of the lady who ran an Omlet approved chicken course, I took her to the vet who explained she had a cold. He treated her with antibiotics which was two injections a week apart and she is after two years still here and very healthy. The consultation and injection cost about £60 in total but this was just something I could not fix for her. I hope that helps.

Listen carefully to her, put your ear to her back, between the wings and listen to her breathing. If you hear crackling, bubbling or wheezing, then she may well have a chest infection which will need treating promptly with antibiotics. The vet will probably recommend either Baytril or Tylan, injecting the poorly hen and giving you an oral version for their water. Antibiotics can have the same effect on their gut as it does on ours, so after the course, add Nettex's Gut Conditioner to their water for a week to repopulate the gut flora.

If the snuffling is confined to the head/nose part, then it may well just be a cold or allergy. Either way, if you are at all unsure, she should go to the vet asap

Thanks Dogmother. I wrote the reply below days ago and for some reason it didn't post!

I am pleased to report she is absolutely fine. There is no wheezing, crackling or bubbling, no shortness of breath and no laboured breathing, and her runny nose appears to have abated, though she does still sneeze occasionally.

She seems wonderfully healthy at the moment and rapidly growing from a slightly "ugly duckling" looking youngster into a really magnificent hen. She's not skinny anymore either- has filled out nicely.

So not clear what was causing the runny nose but best guess an allergen of some kind.