Before I retired I had a gardener who weekly would hand me a chickens egg, stamped with the lion symbol, she had found buried in a plant pot or pile of leaves.

I found out that my neighbour regularly put food out for birds, squirrels and foxes that frequent our adjoining gardens daily, which included a shop bought egg.

Today I cut down a hedge to find a birds nest and inside were two unbroken stamped chickens eggs dated 2002.

I shall not be opening them. I will attach photo if not believed.

Beat that....

We have a bird table in the centre of our garden, and every now and then I come out to find a few feathers littered around the place. It's either a fox or a cat that's getting them... I'm wondering whether it's more humane just to not feed the birds. I feel like the angel of death when I come out and find the feathers!!

There are two foxes that climb my fence daily to get onto garage roof next door where they survey and  sunbathe, 3 metres from my back door. This is in London. The nest was near the top  of the  hedge on that fence. 

16 hours ago, Olly said:

Perhaps the fox didn't like eggs, but was too polite to say so?

3 hours ago, Beantree said:

Sounds like a squirrel. How would a fox put eggs into a birds nest?

3 hours ago, Beantree said:

Sounds like a squirrel. How would a fox put eggs into a birds nest?