jaisongomes

Chickens won't lay, keep sleeping in nesting boxes

We have 12 chickens total; 3 brown hens, 5 silkies and 4 mixed breed. The 3 brown hens are over a year old and were brought to us from a friend whom with they were laying just fine.

Our 3 nesting boxes are about 12" off the ground, there is a huge roosting bar from 1' all the way up to the ceiling at an angle on the other end of the coop. if we cover the openings to the nesting boxes at night, every single chicken will sleep as high as possible as you would expect, if we uncover them, all 12 pile into the 1x1x1 nesting boxes at night and ***** all over each other.

I've tried changing the bedding from hay to wood shavings to grass clippings, i have tried fake eggs in the nesting boxes, we've tried curtains to keep them dark during the morning to promote laying but nothing seems to work.

I've googled and tried everything I can find and we just have had no luck.

I'd be fine if they were not laying eggs but my nesting boxes were clean in case they decided to actually lay, but everything I read says they 100% will not if the boxes are dirty and cleaning them every day is proving to be a pain.

Sounds like they don't like the roosting bar and would prefer not to use it. If they are unhappy with their environment they won't lay. I'd redesign the roosting bar so it's level and about 18" off the ground and make it 3" square with rounded corners so they don't hurt their feet, then see what happens.

10 hours ago, Beantree said:

Sounds like they don't like the roosting bar and would prefer not to use it. If they are unhappy with their environment they won't lay. I'd redesign the roosting bar so it's level and about 18" off the ground and make it 3" squarevNox Showbox  with rounded corners so they don't hurt their feet, then see what happens.

yes i totally agree with you! 

Edited by jaisongomes