Natspringy

Lost toe nail, treated but muddy now does she need antibiotics?

Hello all, 

Just wanted to check care for a hen who's ripped off her toe nail. She did it last Thursday, completely off. I cleaned it all up. Then used the purple Antiseptic spray and a plaster spray to close it. Kept cleaning it through the day but the last time I reopened it and it bled quite a bit. So then I cleaned it up and stopped messing. Unfortunately it's looking quite dirty.  It seems a bit sore too as she is staying off it.  She is eating and drinking fine but clearly resting it although is dking some foraging with the others. I've tried to rebathe this am and antiseptic sprayed again.  But I wondering if I should be getting some antibiotics in case of infection of if I'm over worrying? Would love your thoughts. Thank you.

This happens with ours quite often. All we do is clean and dry it then wrap 25mm microporous tape several times around the end of the toe and pinch the end to seal it. Eventually the tape falls off, by which time the end has healed. Sometimes we make a larger arrangement incorporating gauze with tea tree cream. Important to watch for signs of discomfort or swelling, although we've never had any.

• Thanks 1