VeganJenny

Chicken has diarrhoea

Just rescued 4 boys and they seem to be doing great. I don't know much about chicken care. Anytime I see any of them poop it looks perfectly fine but I've seen some diarrhoea in the coop. They are being fed chick crumbs, corn on the cobs, peas, and get fresh water every day (although they always seem to poop in their water as soon as I've cleaned it). They are 4 months old. Could it be a change in their diet? Or something serious? 

IMG_7766.JPG

IMG_7767.JPG

Looks like a cecal poop. They do those once every 8 to 10 normal poops. It had something to do with digestion, but is perfectly normal. The do smell really bad though!

Personally I would cut down on the treats though. Their normal food should be enough and other food should be kept to a minimum. You could switch them to grower pellets, although I don’t know if they have different nutritional value than chick crumb. 

When were they last wormed and what with?

They are about the age when you can start to worm them. As you rescued them and possibly don't know whether they have been done before, You might need to do the basic 7 day worming treatment with Flubenvet pellets and then repeat after 3 weeks. After that, revert to doing it quarterly.