Aunty e

Dispatching Chooks (Warning, a bit upsetting)

I got my advice from the practical poultry forum mostly, and I can send you a scanned page someone sent me on how to prepare them. I used the scalding method for plucking, but that was simply because I didn't have the time to dry pluck as soon as they were gone.

I used the broom handle and it was very obvious when I got it right, although he did flap about five feet in the air before I got a hold of him again (he was dead at the time). That was a bit upsetting. I just don't think I'd have had the strength/conviction/skill to do it by hand, although I think it's probably nicer if you can.

Thank god I'm veggie! There's no way I could ever do that myself, but I think everyone who eats meat should be made to do what you have done. It annoys me when people turn their backs on how animals are slaughtered (especially in factory farming), but they are happy to buy a nicely cleaned piece of meat from the supermarket.

So I guess in a roundabout way I am saying I respect you for doing it yourself. At least you know it had a good life while he was with you.

Do a search on YouTube for broiler chickens and watch the videos (especially the Peta one) - then you wont feel so bad about the humane way you have done it.

Well done Aunty - it isn't easy is it :(

We still find it so difficult - we have 4 cockerels waiting to go at the moment, as well as 20 'dinners' which we want to despatch at different weights.

We did have someone to show us but we read both P P and RC to gain whatever information we could.

I personally think this is something all meat eaters should be prepared to do (not that i'm promoting it!)

I know i couldn't and that's one of the many reasons i don't eat meat. so well done for at least facing up to it. it may well get easier, but if it doesn't... well i know a good few veggie recipes (even sunday dinners) i could pass on...