chickenNutter

Chickens off-lay after moving house

We are luck enough to have moved 5 weeks ago from a street with a tiny back garden to a small holding, and my girls are now living in paradise.  I currently have 3 bantams two of which were laying happily before the move, the other Ian (was Iris) is transexual and therefore no longer lays.  They live in an eagle classic and can now free range in a huge grassy area, whereas before they free ranged in a much smaller area mostly shrubbery, gravel and bark chippings.  The two layers laid the day after the move which went smoothly - an hour car ride in individual cardboard cat carriers, their eglu was first off the lorry and they were settled in straight away.  they then did not lay for a couple of days - was not surprised with the change, after which they continued to lay as normal for about about 10 days after which they have not laid for the last 3 weeks.

Perhaps they think they are on holiday!  Any ideas why they have stopped laying?  We now have 3 Hebridean sheep wandering about too but they don't seem unduly alarmed.  How do I get them laying again?

They need time to adjust certainly. They will only lay if the environment is suitable to rear chicks in their opinion. Perhaps the area is too open and they feel vulnerable to predators? Have they any bushes or cover they can go under in an emergency? Chickens are creatures of bush areas so given an open space they will be very uncomfortable.