Guest Penguinmad

I don't belieeeeeve it

I sorted out the wood pile in the carport today, looks very neat and tidy and there is loads of wood out there. Much of it needs cutting though. There is a lot of particle board, it was used to build a floor in Mums annexe and I'm not sure just how well it burns.

I did find a good tubtrug full of wood that was ready to burn and 2 small sacks that I'd forgotten I had (freecycle). I'm terrible for skips too but what should I used to cut up some of this wood? I have a chainsaw but I'm not sure thats the right thing for the skip wood.

Thanks Claret, I really have to get going with the chainsaw, I got it for Christmas last year and I've not used it yet. I tried once and it scared me a little bit.

I just need to remember I am once again the capable woman I was before I met my loser of a husband.

I sorted out the wood pile in the carport today, looks very neat and tidy and there is loads of wood out there. Much of it needs cutting though. There is a lot of particle board, it was used to build a floor in Mums annexe and I'm not sure just how well it burns.

I have always steered clear of burning MDF and chipboard. I was told, quite a long time ago, that the glues they use are pretty nasty and give off fumes when you burn them. I don't know if it is true, but it was enough for me to decide to give it a miss.

I swept our chimneys yesterday - we have liners down the flues and little 5Kw wood burners. I sweep them once a year and I don't get that much soot. You can apparently put it in the compost - but I didn't as I do burn some coal as well as the wood, and it doesn't feel right somehow to compost the soot from that.

mmmm my woodburner is rockin' tonight too- free wood from our own 5 acres of chestnut oak and beech and we have a back boiler so we get free hot water too! When the Medieval Hovel gets its makeover we are getting a pretty woodburner for the new living room/library and a wood-burning boiler for heat, cant wait.

You go for it gril!!!

Just remember to keep the chain oiled every 5 minutes or so. The oil pump on my chainsaw is useless so I decanted some oil into an old squirty ketchup bottle and use that to drip it on.

Good move - mine is rubbish as well, but I hadn't got as far as a sophisticated replacement method like this!