Guest Penguinmad

I don't belieeeeeve it

Where did summer go, (and where did my first post about this go?). I'm sitting in front of the fire tonight

1408502480_861fa3aa15.jpg

Its cheaper than running the heating, I'm burning freebie wood.

Mind you the logpile (carport) is just full of wood that still needs cutting, where did the summer go? (there are 101 jobs that were going to be done "in the summer"!!)

We're not even at the autumn equinox yet! Last year I didn't light the woodburner for weeks on end. This year there were a couple of days around Easter when I didn't, but it's been going every night since. Which reminds me. I have to brave the wind and rain of the end of summer and go fill the log basket!!

I guess we should have had the chimneys swept. Its roasting in my living room now and I'm looking at embers. Theyare sooo amazingly efficient though, this room is at least 30ft long and has huge french doors at one end ad a big bay window at the other, yet still an hour of burning old wood has it oven like.

I do have to lose the open plan effect of the house to do this though, there are sliding doors to the rest of the downstairs and I have to shut them to keep the heat in.

What a lovely fire, I am very jealous. Our two fireplaces were blocked up when we moved here and I would love to open them up again and put in log burners. For now I have to make do with electric "log burners" which are expensive to run so I switch on the flame effect.

The central heating has been on more than off this summer. I had to phone and order more heating oil yesterday. It normally doesn't get ordered till January :shock:

What a lovely fire - I'm dead jealous. The only thing about living in a new-build is there's no where to put a nice logburner. Still, the super-duper insulation, and sun-porch have proved their worth over the last week, and we've had to have the windows open despite the distinct chill in the air outside! :D

I really should get some logs delivered, not sure where from though. Last year I was paying £5 a sack at the local resovoir but I don't pass it on the way home anymore and its a pain lugging them in and out of the boot.

I scrounge from a friend who's a joiner (free), from skips (free) or from tree surgeons (nearly free). Sometimes need to get the chainsaw or axe out to cut them to size, the tree bits need to be seasoned, but it costs me very little, if anything at all.

I've spent the morning chainsawing odd bits of stuff up - some branches that I took of the old cherry tree, some stuff I scrounged when the council took the trees down last year. Also bits of driftwood that I've collected.

Trouble is, it looks a big pile when you have it chopped up, but a cold weekend or two and it soon burns away!

Its also a bit hot today to be chainsawing - but when you need the wood its far too cold to go out and do it!