Joojoo

First Egg Today BUT...

We have had our first egg today, after waiting patiently for 2 weeks since our girls arrived on 6th September. Clever Doris has laid a perfect brown egg right in the middle of the run. It had been there for a maximum of an hour and a half as we foolishly went shopping not realising that something momentous was about to happen :lol:

We are all very excited except that is for Doris. She now won't come out of the run and is just lying there looking very miserable and not interested in their usual afternoon treats. Is this normal behaviour that they rest afterwards or just that she is exhausted from producing her first egg? Any ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks

Jue

Edited by Guest

Hi Jue and congratulations of your first egg!

It may be that Doris is about to lay a soft egg very soon (no shell) as she is so new to laying. It takes a while for their egg laying tackle to get used to things.

Just keep an eye on her and i'm sure she'll be fine. It makes them feel a bit poorly for an hour or so.

With my lot, it happened within a couple of hours after the first egg. Depends on the hen i guess.

Some days i would only get softies and they look really sad, neck into their bodies, not moving, power napping etc. It will sort itself out!!

Glad they have a fab chicken Mum to look after them! :wink:

All the best!

Thanks Christian & Laura.

I think we may have had the soft egg not too long ago. She was stood with me on the paving slab path by the back door and I heard what sounded like water hitting the path. It was already wet as it had been raining but it looked almost like the white of an egg (although quite a lot more than I would have expected) and a tiny bit of yellow/white. Does this sound like a soft egg?

Also, when they first staying are they quite infrequent or do they usually start as they mean to go on? Sorry for all the questions but I'm a new mum

Sounds like a softie to me!!

Again (sorry) it depends on the hen. Babs laid really well only 1 softie and then carried on laying until she was ill. No eggs anymore, but she is fine now.

Laverne laid softies for a couple of weeks, then thin shelled eggs then a softie then fine :roll: then softies then fine. She is now moulting so no eggs! :roll:

Shirley has never laid a softie, has 1 day off a week/2 weeks.

It does knock them a bit when they lay a softie, but normally they recover quite quickly.

Oh and don't apologise for asking questions!!! Thats why the forum is here! I asked several hundred when i first got the ladies! :oops:

Thanks very much. She certainly seems a lot perkier than she was when we came home so that can only be a good thing. They make me laugh so much. They've been toddling off down the path at the side of the house and looking through the gate at people going past. It must have come as quite a shock to some of the neighbours as I've been keeping quite a low profile with them and other than the 6ft chicken on the side of the delivery van I haven't broadcast that they were here :lol:

They all love having a fuss and seem to enjoy being carried round the garden by Ashley which is really sweet to watch. AND they can certainly hold their own against the cats. Although Poppy has taken a real liking to them and was licking the feathers on Sybil earlier.

I think Sybil and Elsie are quite a bit younger as their combs are a great deal paler than Doris'. Can't wait until we are getting a regular supply of fresh eggs - it's so exciting :D

Glad she is looking better :D

Did you get them all at the same time?

I did. Babs laid the next day, Laverne a week or so later and Shirley held out for 3 months!

:shock:

See you around! :wink:

C x

They all arrived at the same time and Omlet said they were approx 19 weeks old so just over 21 weeks now. Crikey 3 months is a long time, I bet you thought she was never going to lay :lol:

I thought she was a he!! :oops::oops::lol::lol:

She is now my best layer and the friendliest.

Must get some more................!! :idea:

Ha Ha :lol::lol: Whoops!! We had that problem with Alfie our cat. First everyone thought she was a HE, then the vet said she was hermaphrodite (very common in cats apparently :shock: ) but she turned out to be a she :lol: Hence the name Alfie - it suited her so why change it :lol:

Ha Ha :lol::lol: Whoops!! We had that problem with Alfie our cat. First everyone thought she was a HE, then the vet said she was hermaphrodite (very common in cats apparently :shock: ) but she turned out to be a she :lol: Hence the name Alfie - it suited her so why change it :lol:

I wouldn't worry.. our four girl chickens are arnie, elvis, reggie & CJ (CJ from Reggie Perrin NOT baywatch!!!)- it doesn't seem to bother them!