Yorkie_and_us

Best Scaly Leg prevention spray?

I don’t think there is something as a preventative spray. And three week olds are still very young and I would stay away from treating them. Ivermectin spot on treatment or iverquantel oral treatment can prevent infections with lice and mites. But they are still very young for that too. I guess you still keep them indoors, so unless you already keep outdoor birds, there is very little chance of them catching mites and lice yet.

2 hours ago, Cat tails said:

I don’t think there is something as a preventative spray. And three week olds are still very young and I would stay away from treating them. Ivermectin spot on treatment or iverquantel oral treatment can prevent infections with lice and mites. But they are still very young for that too. I guess you still keep them indoors, so unless you already keep outdoor birds, there is very little chance of them catching mites and lice yet.

I agree with Cat tails - 

a) they are too young to need any treatment

b) the sprays aren't as good at preventing as using an Ivermectin (non-licenced) spot-on on a regular basis; then you'd have no need for a spray.

c) if you are using a spray, then get the Nettex one and use a soft toothbrush to work it up under the scales on the legs... this is easy enough on smooth-legged birds, but will be a difficult and horribly messy process on feather-legged chickens, and personally I wouldn't bother.

Thank you so much 😊 

I didn’t know they can have the spot on treatment! Perfect 👌🏻 I will definitely get that when they are a bit older 😊 

We are still waiting for the MK2 Cube so they need to stay at home until July 🤦‍♀️ (They are already 3 weeks old 🤦‍♀️