majorbloodnock

How do you use your eggs?

That explains soldiers for me, being a 60s child!

Ah, goose eggs, now there is an egg I like.  A treat I had forgotten all about, I've not had one in since we left the UK.  Nothing more special than a goosey egg, a treasure, you have to be careful how you get it home, but not many places sell them, I think geese are quite shy layers so no doubt that is why.  Soft boiled, with soldiers, its the only way for me.

My mother has bought egg cups before now, for holiday places without them!  When I left home I took a set of 4 very old Poole pottery egg cups (because I liked them) and when one broke it took me years to find a replacement from the same year/artist.  Back in January I bought my young niece, who is young but into chooks in a big way, she has her own small flock, a slightly weird present for her birthday, from ebay.  Its a set of egg cosies, not sure when they are from, but they are double linen with a bit of padding in between the layers, and a flower hand embroidered on each.  1950s maybe.

9 hours ago, majorbloodnock said:

Looks like it’s a relatively recent term

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldiers_(food)

The heathen! How can there be such people? Please say she has other redeeming qualities.

Yes just not in the culinary field 😂

7 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

even had to find special egg cups to take bantam eggs!

I have an ancient wooden, painted egg cup that was my grans. I have to be careful not to get it eggy because the paint’s flaking off so I can’t wash it. It reminds me so powerfully of my gran though and going to stay with her and grandad when we were little. It’s perfect for pekin eggs.

• Like 1