Princess Nina

breeding

Hi i have two topics one is how do you reply to a message because I posted a topic about the cold weather and clare replied but i didnt know how to reply to her ( i am a bit slow at this!!).so if some one could fill me in . I have a 16 week old dwarf lop and I worry that she is lonely but i know that rabbits can fight if you introduce one at a later date. I was thinking about breeding her and then keeping one of her babies as a companion, I just wondered what more expericenced rabbit owners thought about this. Any tips on breeding would be greatly appreciated.

I would go to your local rescue centre and take your rabbit with you and the rescue will match her up with a neutered male . They will find one that she likes! Also you should have your girl neutered at 5-6 months as she will be happier healthier and easier to handle.

There is a website for unwanted rabbits www.rabbitrehome.org.uk

which has rescues all across the uk.

Please consider carefully before you breed .There are SO MANY unwanted rabbits looking for a new loving home from babies to seniors. You will find a good friend for your girl.

Also if you breed you will have to good find homes for the other babies and be able to sex them properly otherwise you will have many more rabbits than you will know what to do with. Also if there are problems consider the vets bills.

Sarah's right that a male - female pair tends to be the happiest. My two were introduced to one another at the Wood Green rescue shelter and are very content. Other shelters may be as supportive in the pairing process - but there's a nice guide here: http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/multiple.html and here: http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/introductions.html

I totally agree with Sarah (see my other posts on this subject).

It really isn't a good idea to breed from bunnies just to give them a litter or to create a companion. Breeding any animals (and some humans! :wink: ) should always be undertaken responsibly and after much research. Lone rabbits will be lonely (I have two girls from the same litter), and ideally you should keep two. As with any animals, the newbie need to be introduced carefully and gradually to be sure that they will tolerate each other before keeping them together permanently.

Female bunnies have an 80% chance of getting uterine cancer if they're not spayed (or breeding), and it is recommended that this is done at about 6 months of age.

I would suggest getting either another girl or a neutered boy to keep her company. Try looking at http://www.rossrabbits.co.uk , which is where I got our lovely girls from. Karen Wren is a very reputable and responsible breeder and there is masses of good advice on her site.

Good luck and let us know how you get on - I'd love to see some pictures of your bunny.

I hope that it goes well for you and you find another bunny, I am sure that, given time, she will love jer new husband!

I'm just going to see if I can find Kate's last post describing how to load pix..

I can't find it, but if you hang on a sec or PM her, I am sure that she will help. I managed it myself just by going into the galllery and the album that I wanted them to be in i.e. Rabbits. Then you use the admin options at the top of the page, it is an easy step by step process - go on, have a go :D

Hi Princess Nina,

Great - it's fantastic when people are keen to adopt unwanted bunnies. There are three Wood Green shelters, and one is indeed in Wood Green.

Contact details for all the shelters

Some pics of bunnies (& gerbils & stuff) looking for homes.

I adopted my rabbits from the Godmanchester shelter, and they did a home visit to make sure that the rabbits were going to have proper facilities. A very sweet woman came out and told us how wonderful our rabbit run (not a Rablu) was - they were very keen to see the rabbits having plenty of space and permanent access to grass / the outside world, and ideally somewhere to dig.

Ours are good bunnies - they've dug several fine tunnels, but no serious attempt to escape. I'm guessing that with a Rablu run, you need either to keep on moving it, to put a mesh under it so that the cuties don't get the chance to dig, or to put some flags or something around it so that actually digging out within a day is much less likely?

Obligatory snaps of Bunny & Angel