tara

The basics of ducks

I have brought a eglu and intend on getting ducks in the next few days.Wondered tho if ducks can use hay or sawdust.I have 5 chooks and use sawdust for there nest box but l have seen that ducks sleep on nesting ? Also do people buy duck food or is chicken food ok.Also do they use the glugs and grubs ok.Need some basic advice.

In our ducklu we use straw and shredded garden stuff. (I'm sure I saw somewhere that you shouldn't use hay for bedding.) A friend of ours uses sawdust and straw. We've never seen duck food in the places we get our chicken food from and we give them the same layers' pellets as we give the chickens. We also give them mixed corn. We don't use the glug and grub for the ducks because the chickens have claimed them. We bought a small feeding trough for the ducks' food and we give them the water in a pot.

Have a look at this website - http://www.janescottage.co.uk/keeping.htm#feeding

and try googling "keeping ducks" for more info.

Yes, you musn't use Hay as bedding for poultry at all.

Straw is for bedding and Hay is for eating - but not for poultry to eat as it can impact in their crops.

Ducks need a shallow feeder as they eat differently to hens - they scoop their food up rather than peck it up. We use one of those metal dog bowls that are wider at the bottom edge so that they can't tip it over. Ours get layers pellets - don't give them mash because it is too fine and will clog their nostrils because of the scooping action they use.

We use a galvanised trough feeder like the 4 inch wide ones half way down the page on this link:

http://www.domesticfowltrust.co.uk/feeders2.html

But I don't think we paid as much as they're charging. We got it from Scats Countrystore at Marden.

We also make sure the ducks have access to grit and oyster shell.

And I reckon the thing that makes ducks happiest is having water to float in.

Thankyou that was very helpful.Just one more thing l have just brought to call ducks boy and girl.Want to know if l should clip there wings ? also is there any other info l should know.Do they go to bed each night as we had to get them in eglu tonight.

Edited by Guest

I've just googled it: pinioning involves cutting off - i.e. surgically removing - the end part of a wing at the last joint of the wing. It's usually done on the day after hatching because there will be less stress for the duckling and little, if any, bleeding. It sounds a bit gruesome.

I'm not sure if our two have been pinioned but they had their wings clipped by Jo, the friend we got them from.

Hi all,

A little out of date but i have asked these questions in the past.

Pinioning is a guarantee if you like for some breeders that their ducks won’t head for the hills. However, removing the flight feathers is so easy you'd wonder why they bother putting chicks through the pain.

To remove flight feathers (one side will do) it is best for 2 people, 1 to hold and 1 to remove. Once secure and not flapping, stretch out the wing to expose the flight feathers at the end. I normally remove about 4 but maybe this differs between breeds. Locate the base of the feather where it enters the skin. If the feather stem is whitish/clear then fold it (as close to the base as possible)as if to snap it (this does not hurt the duck) then snip the fold/crease line with a pair of scissors. Repeat for 3 more feathers. If when you look at the feather stem, it is red or dark in colour (this is blood inside) don’t try to remove it as this indicates that the feather is still growing.

A rule of thumb is that if your ducks are settled and comfortable they will not fly and thus may never need to have flight feathers removed.

One more thing, breeders that choose to enter their ducks in shows will never pinion them as this prevents them being shown.