boo

A new arrival due soon please HELP

[/b]

Hi ,

I am hoping to get a new female rabbit

and am Really exited about it but yesterday my mum spoke to

a breeder and she said to get a buck instead.

I was just wonering if anyone has had a young doe and have they had

any difficultys post 6 months of age

the lady said that after 6 months the rabbit

will get broody and will start nesting, pulling out her hair and possibly

aggressive towards me.

hope to hear any helpful comments

thankyou

Boo

:?

Hi Boo

I wouldn't hesitate to get a female rabbit and I have had many over the years. In my experience they have never been that aggressive but I do agree that they can become a bit 'moody' occasionally. I think that spaying helps but i'm not 100% sure of that, your vet will be able to give you some good advice. If you handle your bunny well then that would also help. I have also had male rabbits and I found them much messier and smellier than females. They also had a habit of flicking wee at me, and anyone else, when we walked past their hutch!

I have a male/female pair of bunnies and the female is a lot more affectionate than the male. She loves being cuddled and fussed over but the boy isn't interested at all. On the other hand, I have had friendly males and psycho females in the past too! Every rabbit is different and you can't generalise.

What the breeder was warning you about was female hormonal problems. However, all the problems she mentioned (nest-building etc) can be cured by having your rabbit spayed, which you should do anyway. I'm unsure why a breeder didn't suggest this to be honest. All female rabbits should be spayed at 6 months old as this will stop behavioural problems associated with hormones and also remove the risk of womb cancer, which is extremely common in rabbits.

However, can I recommend that you get more than one rabbit? They really are meant to live in groups and one on its own will be lonely, especially if it lives outside. Pairs are no more difficult to look after than a single rabbit and will be much happier. If you get two, the best thing is to get two babies at the same time who will then live together happily. Go for two females or a male and a female. Don't worry about the risk of pregnancy. Males need neutering as soon as their testicles become obvious, which is any time between 12 and 16 weeks in most rabbits - as long as you check every couple of days around this time and have him neutered straight away, you won't have any unplanned babies! If you get one rabbit now with the aim of getting another in the future, it's always best to start with a male and add a female - girls are naturally more territorial and are less likely to accept a male in the future.

I have two rabbits - a brother and sister - we have had them from babies. They were supposed to be sisters but within a week of getting them home the buck started trying to jump the doe.

We had rescued them from our local RSPCA centre who then neutered them for us. Have you tried your rescue centre? They have lots of small animals as well as dogs and cats.

Our rabbits aren't keen on being picked up, but it is the male who is more friendly while his sister is downright stroppy!

I would recommend getting two rabbits unless you are prepared to spend a lot of time with a single one - my neighbour has a house rabbit who is part of the family in the same way a cat or a dog would be - he even uses a litter tray!