Suzana

Sickly hen

Hello, 

My Evelyne, an Orpington of about 7 months old, is not doing well. 

It's been a week now that she won't quit the nest. She has her bottom up,  the vent looks clean though. I thought she might have an egg stuck ( I read some of the posts here) so I  put some vaseline and tried to touch, but I don't feel a thing.

I  force her out twice a day and during her time out she's almost normal, she eats and drinks with my two other chickens and her poo is ok.  She's not laying either, which is weird for her, but I imagine expected since she's acting so strange.

Do you have any ideas? I don't have much experience and I dont know if I should keep forcing her out or not...

Thank you

Doesn't sound like 'egg bound' to me. You would see her pushing to try and shift it and she wouldn't stay in the nest box, just keep returning. I think you could have what we term 'a silent broody', which is a broody hen not exhibiting the usual signs which are fluffed up feathers, screeching if you go near, throwing twigs on her back, plucking out her breast feathers and even pecking you. If she is broody she won't lay. Just keep taking her out and block the nest box at night (plant pot works). I might be wrong, only time will tell as they usually develop proper broody behaviour after a few days.

11 minutes ago, Suzana said:

Thank you, it is very reassuring.

She does complain a bit when I take her out, but not aggressive, no.

I'll try to block the nest tonight and see if she comes out in the morning.

If she’s really broody, she will most likely just keep brooding on the perches in the coop. You could try a broody sin bin to get her to stop brooding: 

• Like 1

So, Evelyne is still trying to go back to the nest. 

I closed it for the night and she was on the perch with the others, but she still won't come out spontaneously this morning.

I had to go to work, and since the area is quite safe and well protected, I decided to lock her out of the pen with food and water.  

But I confess i do feel bad about it...

12 hours ago, Suzana said:

So, Evelyne is still trying to go back to the nest. 

I closed it for the night and she was on the perch with the others, but she still won't come out spontaneously this morning.

I had to go to work, and since the area is quite safe and well protected, I decided to lock her out of the pen with food and water.  

But I confess i do feel bad about it...

I can only offer my own opinion on this and it wouldn’t have be my choice. I do sometimes lock my broody out of the run, but only when I’m home. I normally leave her in a separate section of the run with food and water and shelter. If I leave food outside the run, the pigeons will have finished it before she gets a chance.