Shamo 75

Ready to take the plunge

Hi there

I'm new to the forum and so would like to say hi to everybody. I've been wanting some chooks for ages and am now ready to take the plunge. I plan on getting my eglu in the next month but am undecided on which chicken breed to keep. I really want leghorns, Aseel or Shamo. AA pair of them. No cockerals just hens. Which do you think I should go for?

Hi, I'm new too.

When I went to choose my girls the lady said that the leghorns were more skittish and as a first timer I might prefer something calmer.

I chose the Coral, looked the same to my uninformed eye! I just wanted a white one to call Muriel, after the film 'Muriel's Wedding'. She's dressed in white like a wedding dress.

Sounds quite mad now I've wriiten it down! I'll go back to my corner! :oops:

Welcome Shamo 75 :D I would visit a few breeders and see what they have to say about each breeds qualities. It's amazing how you can change your mind once you've seen them in the flesh. Some breeds suit different people's personalities. Whatever you decide on I'm sure you'll love keeping chickens.

Keep us all posted on what you get, we're all very nosey around her :wink:

there are several books you could look at which will advise you as to the qualities of the breeds (they are a generalisation so obviously there are individuals within any breed).

You may be looking for certain qualities that suit you - I don't want hens that fly so that I don't need to roof the run. I also like docile hens and am not keen on the lively bantams that so many people keep. So I have big hens - my 3 Orpingtons are fantastic and suit me down to the ground; big, easy going, docile and pretty!

My North Holland is a very inquisitive, friendly bird and I would certianly recomend them - but she does fly a bit. My Buff Sussex look very pretty but are nervy and don't have a lot of personality really.

So I'd suggest Orps, but then I would - check out the breed characteristics and pick what suits you. Then they will be individuals and not conform, but that's life!

Hi there

I'm new to the forum and so would like to say hi to everybody. I've been wanting some chooks for ages and am now ready to take the plunge. I plan on getting my eglu in the next month but am undecided on which chicken breed to keep. I really want leghorns, Aseel or Shamo. AA pair of them. No cockerals just hens. Which do you think I should go for?

Oooh, I would definately recommend ex-battery hens, i've got 7 now :oops::oops: and they are so friendly and follow you around and are just gorgeous (not that i'm biased or anything !). Oh and welcome to the forum :D