Mairena40

Ostracised hen

We recently introduced 2 new hens to our existing 2.  All were the same age and size, point of lay.  One of the new hens has been accepted and is thriving.  The other is shunned by the other 3, pecked at if going for food and not allowed in the coop if our original hens are in there first.  Sad hen has got used to putting herself to bed first and I make sure she has access to separate food. So she is ok in terms of getting what she needs but she is missing out on hen company, is not laying and I feel very sorry for her.  Any advice? 

It sounds like she is just bottom in the pecking order. Provide multiple feeding and drinking stations to make sure she gets a chance. They often will settle down once they are all laying. I would just give it some more time. Adding more hens might not change her position and maybe even add more hens that pick on her.

It’s not easy to see this, is it?  Be prepared to separate the main aggressor if necessary in a crate in sight of the others.  If you keep her there a few days she should go down the pecking order.  Have bumpa bits available if blood is drawn together with purple spray to disguise blood.  Good luck!