ktdot

Ponds and chickens

Just had a thought, can chickes swim?

I ask this because we have a raised pond in the garden, about 2 1/2 foot high. Never gave it a thought untill I saw Babs up on the side having a drink! :shock:

What would happen if she fell in? Should I cover it with net or are they ok around water?

I have a pond in our garden, that the chooks don't tend to go too close to, appart from to dig up soil to kick in :roll:

I think that someone has lost a chook because they drowned in the pond :(

It may be worth netting the pond, especially as it has a raised edge, that they couldn't get out of if wet :shock:

karen x

yes, someone on here, I can't recall who, did lose a chook in their pond :( ... they can't swim.

I think you probably need to net it or make it inaccessible, if you let them free-range when you're not around. Sad, but you'd feel terrible if the worst happened.

Yes, I remember reading about someone whose chicken drowned. Best make it off limits.

it was Kaz (kazaddress) whose chook drowned.

We have a 9 foot by 7 foot pond which is deep (with a bridge across it), my girls dont go any where near it and they free range all day.

weve got two ponds in our garden for the ducks and my chickens seem sensible but i think my mrs. weasley mightve had a stroke because she walks to oneside somtimes and im terrified shell come off balance near the pond and fall in :(. i cant get rid of them or net them over though because of the ducks, ill just have to hope im lucky i guess.