ellasflock

Rooster Stopped Crowing!

Hi Everyone, so I recently gained two new additions to my flock of three silkies. I had 2 silkie hens and a silkie rooster, and unfortunately I lost some silkies to a fox attack, but my rooster continued to crow. I then added two hybrids and they still peck at one another but they can still sleep and eat nicely. Since I added my hybrids, my rooster has stopped crowing and I don’t know why? I thought he would start crowing again as he used to crow at least 10 times a day, but now I’m lucky if I get one crow. Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can make him get back to his usual self. As he seems perky and happy, just doesn’t crow, and all of a sudden he isn’t the first one out of their inside box when I open them up In the morning, it is my silkie hen and my new hybrid hen. I don’t know if this has an affect on him not crowing but it would be great if someone could let me know!

He's no longer the top in the pecking order I think Ellasflock, so he's not allowed to crow. The new hens have taken charge of the flock. Now this is a new situation for me as we've had cockerels introduced and not being accepted as top but never one who, in his own territory, has been demoted by newcomer hens. The hens chose their cockerel, so at the moment he isn't up to their expectations. You could try what we do with a new boy and that's feed treats to him so that he can call the girls over; they then see him as the great food provider and should accept him as leader (always works for us). Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Thank you for the advice. I definitely understand now that it has something to do with the pecking order, as my Hens are all still laying eggs every day, and my silkies every other day, and he only seemed to stop crowing the day I got my hybrids. So hopefully I can resolve the situation by giving him a few snacks! Thank you for the advice.