I am new to keeping hens, and I currently have 3 hens who are living in the Cube. I would like to get another 2 or 3 hens at some point in the future. However, I am a bit wary of doing this because of an incident not long ago where the hens attacked and killed the fourth hen in the coop overnight. I'm a bit concerned that there is literally nowhere to hide for a timid/picked on hen. Has anyone had any experience of this, or can offer advice? Many thanks.

That must have been aweful! Are you sure the others killed your 4th hen?

Although it is VERY unusual for chickens to fight in a dark coop, I’ve had it happen too. It woke me up in the middle of the night. And I ended up taking out the instigator and putting her in a cat carrier over night. 

If you do a slow integration, you might have less chance of this happening. Also you could consider leaving the coop open at night for the first few weeks. Provided that you have a fox resistent coop.

Thanks, Cat Tails. Yes, it was definitely at least one of the hens- the poor wee hen had been pecked badly and there was a lot of blood. It was a shocking thing.  I recently rescued them. They were used to a wooden shed coop, with vertical nest boxes and perches. I wondered if the shock of the move, and restricted space in the Cube was a factor as they had been together  as a flock for 2 or 3 years already.

I have a 3m run, so I could leave the door open to allow an escape route. I think it might be a while yet before I'm brave enough to chance introducing more hens, much as I would love to.