SeramaSilly

9 month pullet's vent looks sore!!

Hi there,

A few weeks ago I was asking about my 9 month old pullet who still hadn't laid but the very next day she laid her first egg.  She is laying now about 2/3 times a week but very often it's blood stained and today's egg even more so.  I've looked at her vent and I can't see any blood but it does look very sore.  Do you think it would be a good idea to bathe it and put some sudocrem on it?  She is a tiny girl weighing 275 grams.

It may be her eggs are too big for her development at the moment. There isn't anything you can do. She will be straining herself and her duct when laying and that's the blood on the shell. Don't put anything on her vent other than vaseline to act as a lubricant and you will have to push it in half finger depth.

3 hours ago, Beantree said:

It may be her eggs are too big for her development at the moment. There isn't anything you can do. She will be straining herself and her duct when laying and that's the blood on the shell. Don't put anything on her vent other than vaseline to act as a lubricant and you will have to push it in half finger depth.

Ok, I'll try this thanks  but surely I would have to do this all the time for her?

3 hours ago, Beantree said:

I'd expect the vent to expand naturally. All you are doing is allowing it to heal. We had this problem with one of our pullets, but it only happened once and we didn't know which one (checked all the vents) so we didn't need to do anything.

Thanks Beantree!