Catrick

Are badgers dangerous to cats?

We have a family of badgers living in our valley in the wilds of France. We have 7 rescue cats, two are elderly and fragile and I'm a little worried the badgers might go for them, does anyone have any experience of badgers and cats?

While its lovely to have wildlife around I don't want to encourage the badgers, I'm not feeding the birds peanuts since it appears to be the fallen nuts that attract them. The badgers have broken into a number of large, plastic, storage boxes and scattered the contents all over the garden, meanwhile devouring all the nuts we feed to the birds and red squirrels. Walnut and hazelnut shells everywhere. Everything is now stored inside the house. 

The saddest thing about badgers is they kill hedgehogs and I've not seen any evidence of hedgies for two years or so. We are discouraging the badgers from coming anywhere near us by not leaving nuts or anything they may like in the way of food outside. I am worried for the cats however.

Foxes take cats all too often. We saw a fox grab a cat last night that we feed out by the bins near our village. Fortunately she got free, jumped up high and ran off unhurt.  (These are the cats we feed on the trap, neuter, return basis, there are just so many in this world and we can't take them all.)  I would think a badger would move just as quickly and they have deadly teeth. 

One of our cats is very old, losing his eyesight and has no teeth so I'm worried for him. We're trying to discourage fox cubs living around us at the moment, the old siamese wouldn't cope with living inside fulltime and the foxes will be a problem as they grow up. I've not heard of a badger attacking a cat but you never know.

Only way to know for sure, is keeping your cats in. Outdoor cats run al sorts of risks, even silly risks. I once had to pay €200 in vet costs because my tomcat had a lacerated artery in his paw. Think he was challenging another cat by pawing underneath a fence.

I know might not be an option as it will never be for my tomcat either. But other than electric fencing around the garden, there is no way to control where your cat is going.

With 7 rescue cats in our household we'd have war from *** if we tried to keep them inside. We're in a lovely valley, no busy roads, so its ideal for cats although we have to watch for the predators of course.  Our household was a lot safer when we had 3 big dogs to protect everybody, cat friendly, but we really can't take on more now.