Guest Poet

what on earth are they doing!!????? :)

I noticed Mariana this morning picking up bits of straw and hemcore and turning her head round and depositing them on her back!!!??? Now Shalott is doing it too- what on earth are they up to?

Hello,

Mine do that too when they are getting ready to lay an egg. They sometimes put it on their backs but most of the time they put bits either side of themselves. I guess maybe it is just some kind of nest building instinct ? :?

I asked this question a few months ago, its nesting behaviour. When i peeked in the nesting box, mischief was putting shredded paper on her back. Gemma used to do that with wood chippings :roll:

I have a theory, i think they do it to keep warmer so they can incubate eggs better :?

Anyway i think its kind of cute!

xx

It's lovely isn't it?

I saw Kath doing that this week - and wondered if just maybe she might be coming back into lay? The last egg I had from her was about 4 months ago!

i caught mariana in a hole she'd dug for herself in the soil today, at first she was just sitting in it then she tried rolling over but couldn't because she'd forgotten she was in a hole! :D

It really warms me cockles to see 'em being like real chooks!

I was picking out poop from the coop (see, I said I was a poet ;) ) and i got pestered to death and then when i tried to freshen their water i got mobbed again. You'd think they'd associate humans with pain after what they've been thru!

4 eggs today! :)

oh and trusting isn't in it! I was using a set of barbecue tools to scoop the poop because they have long handles and are ideal for getting into the corners of the coop...I gently pushed the nosey girls away with the end of the spatula tool and they wouldn't move. I could feel the resistance of them pushing back, I had to physically shove them (with my hands) out of the way in the end. You'd think they'd run a mile with a big silver spatula in their face! They are sooooo funny!

Poet - the rolling in a hole thing is a dustbath - wait until they all do it together, its hilarious. Then they don't just dig holes they dig craters. Mine free-range and they make a new dustbath every week.

When my ex-batts started dustbathing I considered that they had completed the transformation into proper chickens.