Karolina

Chicken run bedding

Hi. I was wondering if anyone has used woodland mulch as chicken run flooring? At the moment I’m using hardwood wood chips from flytesofancy but I usually need 4 bags and that can be very pricey. Ive heard normal wood chips can mould but don’t know if this is true. Thanks in advance:)

5 hours ago, Karolina said:

Hi. I was wondering if anyone has used woodland mulch as chicken run flooring? At the moment I’m using hardwood wood chips from flytesofancy but I usually need 4 bags and that can be very pricey. Ive heard normal wood chips can mould but don’t know if this is true. Thanks in advance:)

I also got mine from there.

We decided it was better value to drive the 2 hours there and 2 hours back rather than pay the postage.

We bought quite a few sacks and they have lasted in my run for 5 years now. I've not had to replace them yet.

Make sure you have a deep enough layer and that you manage to keep them retained in the run.

I’ve had chickens for over a year now and that’s all I’ve ever used but like you said the postage gets very pricey:( so that’s why I wondered if there’s any other options. 

On 5/26/2021 at 2:06 PM, Cat tails said:

From memory I think products containing bark can mould. Normal wood chips don’t mould in normal circumstances, but do need to be replaced more frequently than hard wood. If you keep your run dry and have a thick layer they last longer.

I do have a roof over it but the edges to get damp sometimes