anjuli

7 sleeps until I get my exbattery hens!

Of to Devon with DH next Saturday, SO excited! We're getting four, thinking of names...but will probably wait to see their personalities first and then do it! Our friends are mildly amused by all this but are slowly being educated about the lives of battery hens and are taking it all in! Now we are much more aware of ingredients and find ourselves scanning mayonnaise jars, bought cakes etc. It seems I will have to do more home baking as I would feel like a hypocrite buying the products and yet rescuing the hens....It's not just about rescing hens is it? It's the whole package!!!!

Now we are much more aware of ingredients and find ourselves scanning mayonnaise jars, bought cakes etc.

ditto! I was really upset when DH brought home mayo the other night and on the label it said the eggs were from caged hens! He'll know better next time, I was so upset!!!!!

i scan everything now and have shot off the odd e-mail to people like Hellmans, who haven't even bothered to respond.

Anyway, good luck with your girls, we need photos when you get them! :)

Hello Aunty J!

Seen the pics! They're gorgeous! Now we just have to work on the rest of the family.... i think Granny should have some ex-batts in her garden! What d'ya reckon?! :shock::)

Mike keeps moaning about organic mayonnaise and how its so much more expensive (i don't eat the stuff - its only him!) but i can only find organic that guarantees it doesn't have battery eggs and he doesn't have a choice! Having said that i think he's quite taken with Bram and Pip. When i was filling up the duck pond today he saw Snowdrop chasing after and pecking Pip and took it upon himself to stand sentry like with a water pistol to ensure it didn't happen again! (boys and their toys... :roll: )

Can't wait to come and see your newbies. What does Nick make of them?

Of to Devon with DH next Saturday, SO excited! We're getting four, thinking of names...but will probably wait to see their personalities first and then do it! Our friends are mildly amused by all this but are slowly being educated about the lives of battery hens and are taking it all in! Now we are much more aware of ingredients and find ourselves scanning mayonnaise jars, bought cakes etc. It seems I will have to do more home baking as I would feel like a hypocrite buying the products and yet rescuing the hens....It's not just about rescing hens is it? It's the whole package!!!!

Wonderful and well done you for checking your labels :D Don't forget if you have an eglu or cube BHWT get a donation from Omlet so please tell your co-ordinator p:D

BBx

Just to say that my 4 exbattery hens have won my heart! We have named them (Scraggy)Aggie, (Tatty) Hatty, (Scruffy) Buffy and Scarlet. Scarlet, you ask? because "tomorrow is another day!" remember Gone with the Wind? Now they have their tomorrows with us.