MamaCoop

Roll away egg tray in a cube?

Had anyone successfully managed to adapt a cube to have a roll away egg tray? 

I have an egg eater....can't work out which one and has been going on for months now. Tried a whole host of things...nothing has worked . Was late collecting eggs today and 3 were gone. 

Wondering if there was a solution for the cube so once laid the hens can't get to the eggs. 

Thanks 

Edited by MamaCoop

On 10/9/2021 at 8:56 PM, Cat tails said:

Otherwise maybe close off the laying box in the cube and add laying boxes with the mechanism in the run.

Thanks Cat Tails! I have a 4m cube run then 9m squared low rise....so have been spending lots of my brain time thinking how I could do these easily....even thought about cutting holed in the run so the collection box could be outside!  🤔

Will take the tape measure out and see if I can adapt the cube nesting box in the first instance to have one or two of those nesting trays...

Thanks again for your time! 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 11:22 AM, MamaCoop said:

Will take the tape measure out and see if I can adapt the cube nesting box in the first instance to have one or two of those nesting trays...

Please let me know how you get on - if your in the UK ebay has the roll away nest box for £17 - I used to have an egg eater but I have 4 old hens that rarely lay an egg so not such a problem at the moment but if I get new girls I think I might start with something like this if it works.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 7:11 PM, HarrisonFamily said:

Please let me know how you get on - if your in the UK ebay has the roll away nest box for £17 - I used to have an egg eater but I have 4 old hens that rarely lay an egg so not such a problem at the moment but if I get new girls I think I might start with something like this if it works.

I bought this from ebay. And it is a perfect width for a Cube MK1. I've been a bit creative with pieces of wood and a box to wedge it all in and ensure there is a slope. 

Will report back and send a pic through of it in place if it works. This morning girls not too happy about laying on it. 

It's different I know and with it in their space within the nest area has been limited a little. 

But with months of eggs eating and only getting around 2 eggs a week from 3 hens then they need to get used to it! 

Screenshot_20211023-140855_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by MamaCoop
  • Like 2

On 10/10/2021 at 7:11 PM, HarrisonFamily said:

I'm happy to say it's worked....(so far!) 4 eggs the last 3 days and none eaten....

So happy and relieved and the nest area smells fresh for once! It hadn't for months....

Here is a pic of my makeshift roll away...

Ther risk another large plastic type box thats popped in from the front that the eggs can roll away underneath  and the hens can't get too. 

20211025_172136.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/25/2021 at 9:34 PM, mullethunter said:

Brilliant!! Well done MamaCoop 😁

Thank you. Been so frustrating for so long and broken eggs  have been horrid to deal with constantly. That's if there were any of them left. 

Haven't enjoyed chicken keeping lately as couldn't see an end (and had a high maintenance other hen too) 

but clean coop and eggs makes for a happy me! 

Thanks for  messages and support (on other posts too) really makes a difference xx 

PS I realise it doesn't look great or even comfy. But will keep it like that for a little while and try and transition back to a cosy nest box again at some point. 

Hopefully egg eating will stop 🤞 (and the rollaway continues to work.....) 

Edited by MamaCoop
  • Like 1

Yes it still works....though I did take it out for a little while. Popped it back in just last week as egg eating has started again. 

I can recommend...you need to be a little creative as to how you can get it in situ but the width of it is perfect for the nest area of a MK1 cube. 

On 3/14/2022 at 9:30 PM, MamaCoop said:

Yes it still works....though I did take it out for a little while. Popped it back in just last week as egg eating has started again. 

I can recommend...you need to be a little creative as to how you can get it in situ but the width of it is perfect for the nest area of a MK1 cube. 

Thank you I bouight one and I am using auboise to create  a slope -at the moment I just have a cardboard box protecting the eggs which is working - it was worth the £12 as it stops the frustration of the hens eating the egg before I get there !!

• Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 7:36 AM, HarrisonFamily said:

Thank you I bouight one and I am using auboise to create  a slope -at the moment I just have a cardboard box protecting the eggs which is working - it was worth the £12 as it stops the frustration of the hens eating the egg before I get there !!

Let me know how you get on. 

Was a game change for me! (I know that sounds slightly dramatic but it really helped 😄

• Haha 1