BethanyRose

Hay inside or out?

Hi I notice that over a hundred people read my post, I presume you all have Eglus which is why you're on the Omlet forum in the first place. Please can some of you share your set ups because I'm struggling with this product. It has so many faults despite the fact that the bunnies love it! A) I can't easily put a litter tray in the back of the run because it gets wet in the rain, even with a cover and taurpalin, b) I can't reach the flipping litter tray as there is no back access for me to reach or clean the back of the run, I've taken to sweeping with a long broom and back ache, the back of the run door to the hutch is also something that opens and shuts when I need to clean the hutch  so that gets in the way of the litter tray. So I need to put hay in the hutch, but if I put hay in there to keep it dry they poop in there. There is not enough room for a bowl of food, a bowl of water and a litter tray and a bedding area in the hutch. Grrrr I'm at a loss how to arrange it. What kind of bedding do you put in there? My buns seem to love squidging in a small area to sleep and the hutch aswell as being too small for all these needs, is also too big for them to feel cosy. Please please tell me what is working for you because I've spent a fortune on this thing and all the accessories that go with it

Sorry to hear you are struggling! There aren’t that many people on the forum with bunnies in an Eglu, definitely no one that is very active in posting.

One solution might be the extra run door diy kit: https://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/chicken_keeping/chicken_keeping_spares/21791/run_door_self_fit_kit/?rf=0cecc63fb6449d6ae0f2f3c359c3e20a

You can create extra access in the back of the run. That way you can keep your hay in the run, and maybe also the food and water, creating more space in the hutch. 

I have no savvie solutions for cleaning in the rain… other than that I normally use a large umbrella, but it does get very fiddly.

Thank you for your replies. I have an Eglu Go with 2 metre run, plus a zippi tunnel with play pen that we sit in to play with the bunnies. As I say, they absolutely love it. I do worry they'll get cold outside, but have each other for warmth. They're both currently inside in a cage on day 5 of my boy's neutering. Can't wait to get them both back out. The hay rack that came with the go I had to remove, as the girl is a livewire and I found her in it!! It was full, but I worry if it wasn't that she could have got stuck. Yes I will probably invest in the side access door, although the actual door looks tiny? Not large enough for me to pass a litter tray in and out. Or does the whole panel open wider like the front door? If not it is useless to me. I worry that if I leave hay in the run it will get damp or lose that lovely fresh smell that gets them so excited. I buy from Hay box. It is also means more clearing up in an already difficult to access run. Hence why I've been keeping the hay in a bowl in the hutch. The hutch flooring is also annoying I find. I wish it had just been completely flat with the raised edges round the outside. That way I could put a little separate hidey house in the for them for extra warmth and maybe a litter tray. But because of the silly ridges it's difficult to use. Should I maybe put a tray in there with litter in it and their food bowls in the same tray? So they can eat and poo? As that's what they seem to do? Then create a little corner with paper and straw for bedding?  Giving them all their food in the hutch has worked well because then they don't poo or wee in the run. So basically I need to fit hay, food bowls, litter tray and bedding in there. I know cattails mentioned it's quite a big ask of the area, but I'm not sure how else to work it.

I say food bowls, I mean singular 'bowl' for their morning and evening nuggets. Tiny bowl. I keep their water bowl in the run. They are happy with that and used to it there. So a nugget bowl I pop in and out morning and evening and I need a good way to give hay. What about a rectangular cat litter tray?? If it fits, although probably not due to the ridges in the Eglu

I have no knowledge of rabbits but my guinea pigs definitley poop and eat at the same time so I have there food bowl in a cat litter tray full of hay and they sleep, eat and poop in there - however the litter tray is in there winter C&C cage - in the summer I just put a fleece liner in the go throw in the hay and food bowl and clean out as needed - I am sure your bunnies would be warm enough I just brought my piggies in a cabin during the winter as we have clay soil and the mud even with little tiny feet was causing problems especially for the long haired one.