Kizzamozza

Evil foxes

Have any of your chickens ever been affected by a fox?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Have any of your chickens ever been affected by a fox?

• Yes, but just frightened by it. not injuries
    • Yes, injured
    • Yes, killed
    • No problems with foxes

Well on tuesday morning, around 6.00 i heard the chickens clucking, I just stayed in bed as I thought nothing of it. I heard my dad saying something at the window of his room about the chickens but I didnt think anything of it and went back to sleep. Then my mum came in my room and told me the chickens had been attacked. I went outside thinking it had got a few bruises, only to see the chicken lying there, pretty much dead.

Apparently my dad saw the fox with the chicken hanging out of its mouth. So now i hate foxes. Foxes smell. They killed my faveorite chicken. Its so sad. :(:(:(GNR

Oh Kim,

I'm so sorry to hear your sad news. I hope your other hen is coping all right on her own. Are you going to find her a new companion?

Were the hens in the Eglu with the door locked or was it open? I think a lot of us are worried about our hens being foxed. The only way to stop it happening is to be vigilant and make sure they're safely shut in at night as the Eglu is very secure when it's all locked up.

Good luck with your remaining hen. I hope she will be OK after the experience.

well, we're going to get her a new friend, but it just wont be the same as having louise. -Sigh- Well, we only locked their chicken run door but forgot to lock the eglu. I guess the fox must have broken in. We have only locked the run door a few times, but nothing bad has ever happened like that. Also, Thelma is kind of depressed after the whole thing, like they were inseperable before and they loved fighting over bread, but now thelma wont even go near bread. She must be so lonely :(

I know - you can never replace a favourite :( . My youngest son loves our Gingernut, Clarry, best of all and would feel just the same as you do if anything happened to her.

These foxes can be really determined when they want to get to a chicken. I was reading on another forum this morning about a fox who had ripped a wooden chicken coop apart to get to a hen. It had even bitten the lock! The Eglu is difficult to get into because you need to pull up the handle to unlock it so they really are safest locked in there at night. With Spring on the way, the foxes will be all the more determined for food for their young when they are born so we have to make sure our girls are safely locked away.

Good luck when you get a partner for Thelma.

Well, we only locked their chicken run door but forgot to lock the eglu. I guess the fox must have broken in. We have only locked the run door a few times, but nothing bad has ever happened like that.

Oh dear, sorry to hear about Louise. :(

I hope you don't mind us asking for more details, but we all want to avoid a similar fate. Did the fox lift the run to get to her ? Or did it get her through the wire ? This is the first one I've heard of to be got inside the Eglu setup. We hoped it was foxproof and were hoping to be able to leave the hens the run of it while we were away at the weekend

well, we lost the green metal thing that came with the eglu that you use to lock it, so we have been using screwdrivers and things like that, but for some strange reason, my dad (the one who locked it) used a stick that night, I know it may sound stupid but it was quite a strong stick.

Kim, so sorry to hear about Louise, R.I.P. Louise, its our worst nightmare for us with chickens isn't it?

Its really good of you to tell us about it, & we can all be extra on our guard.

Do keep us posted, how you get on with Thelma, ....and we're all here with our support.

Very best wishes,

It's horrible what's happened to Louise but at least we know that it wasn't due to a fault with the Eglu and run. If we are all vigilant and make sure it's secure at night, I very much doubt if a fox could get through the defences.

Good luck finding a new friend for Thelma and take care with all those foxes in the allotment - how scary knowing they're around.

but for some strange reason, my dad (the one who locked it) used a stick that night,

Thanks for letting us know about that.

It's quite a thought - that a fox would be resourceful enough to work out it had to break through the stick. :shock:

I'd been thinking that the looped clip at the top of the green rod was a bit superfluous, but clearly I was wrong. It's clearly a vital link in the defences

I wonder if Omlet would send them another one ?

Just wanted to say how sorry I was to hear about your dear little chicken - it makes my eyes well up just thinking about it :cry:

Good luck with your new one when you get her.

Best wishes

Olivia

Hi Kim

Very sorry to hear your sad news. I've been through this myself several times when I had free range hens and wooden hen houses. Some foxes are very strong and persistant.

I think you will probably have to keep your hens safe in their eglu run unless someone is in the garden with them. I'm sure if you ring the omlet guys they can send you a new door rod. It might be worth getting some of the special anti-fox pegs they sell to make sure the fox can't get under the run. Unfortunately there is a higher chance of the fox trying again. :cry:

It might help Thelma feel more secure if you lock up the eglu at night, as well as the run, for a while. I'm sure lots of cuddles and her favourite treats will help as well.

Hi Kim

Really sorry to hear you news we recently lost Matilta to a fox and Georgina was injured bu survived. Hope you find a companion for Thelma. Our 2 chooks no longer go into the run themselves after free ranging in the garden but roost on the bench by the kitchen window. I have to go out and put them in the run and shut the run door, they then potter into the eglu themselves. So much for hens having a short memory!

Omlet sell spare run pegs if you look in the product bit at the top of the page.

Sorry to hear your news, and sorry I can't vote as there isnt really the right box!

We have had a problem with foxes: three nocturnal visits, however they were all unsuccessful and I'm not sure the chooks even realised! They must have heard something though, as the fox woke us up (OH ran out to scare it off).