Eggshell

Neem, thyme and garlic

I was looking at an old post by Lewis about neem, thyme and garlic oils used against mites. Hoping Lewis might see this: what concentration would be suitable, and how often would you need to spray a coop to make it have some deterrent effect - and would too much be overwhelming for the chickens? Thanks for any advice.

On 11/14/2021 at 8:26 PM, Eggshell said:

I was looking at an old post by Lewis about neem, thyme and garlic oils used against mites. Hoping Lewis might see this: what concentration would be suitable, and how often would you need to spray a coop to make it have some deterrent effect - and would too much be overwhelming for the chickens? Thanks for any advice.

@EggshellIf you add an @ in front of a name. The person will get a notification.

So @Lewis what did you use? 😉

Hey, this was my undergrad dissertation. I can't remember the concentrations without finding it (was 8 years ago) sorry!

It worked really well in the lab and killed >90% of mites but the issue with essential oils is that they are volatile and evaporate so without impregnating it into bedding or something it would need to be constantly resprayed which is why I didn't continue pushing it.

Not to worry - just wondering. I do find that if I use essential oils in the eglu, I can smell them for a few days. Would that mean they are still sufficiently present to be significant? And do you think it would be irritating for the chickens always to have smellable oils in the eglu?