m3tz

Eggcited for a blue egg, But when will she lay?

Hi,

We have a Devon Blue Hybrid hen. We bought her at POL a couple weeks before Christmas and the stamp on the receipt said her hatch date was 22nd July. I’m assuming that’s not very accurate as she was quite small and the other hen we bought (an Amber Rock) was a lot bigger but apparently hatched the same day. 

The Amber Rock started laying in late January but still nothing from the Devon Blue. 

Her comb is full and red and she crouches down when you want to stroke her. When will she lay? :)

She is the lowest on the pecking order in a flock of 4 so I don’t know if that has something to do with it. However I don't think she is being picked on, and although she is noticeably submissive to the other hens I do not think she is unwell or picked on.

Happy to wait but just wondered ? :) 

She should be laying now, but won't if she doesn't feel secure. How many nest boxes do you have, for 4 hens? Problem is that a single nest box becomes territorial, so the lowest in the pecking order won't enter it. Perhaps as she grows bigger she will be more confident?

On 3/2/2022 at 7:11 PM, Beantree said:

She should be laying now, but won't if she doesn't feel secure. How many nest boxes do you have, for 4 hens? Problem is that a single nest box becomes territorial, so the lowest in the pecking order won't enter it. Perhaps as she grows bigger she will be more confident?

Hey, We have a MK1 Eglu cube, the 3 others just lay in the one corner. so I guess just the one nest box. 

On 3/2/2022 at 7:19 PM, mullethunter said:

I would say all hens are different so there might not be a reason other than she’s not ready. If she’s squatting she’s likely to lay soon though.

Is it going to make her ill if she doesn't lay at all? She has been squatting for about a month? maybe more... as you may remember she was really not well but has perked up a lot 

Thanks for the replies 

On 3/2/2022 at 7:30 PM, m3tz said:

it going to make her ill if she doesn't lay at all?

Not necessarily. I have an araucana bantam who laid in her first spring but then hasn’t laid since (over a year) and is perfectly healthy. I also had a Wyandotte bantam who is over 9 years old now and hasn’t laid for 6 years!