AndyRoo

Bright red blood - yolk

Hi guys,

Any ideas what might be going on with one of my hens: one of them (not sure which) has started laying eggs with bright red spots of blood on the surface of the yolk (not meat spots, fresh red blood). The yolk and white themselves are normal colour. I've no idea why, as none of them seem to be poorly.

Any ideas what might be causing this and how it could be fixed?

Also, are these eggs safe to eat, or should they be fit for consumption? Not that I would actually eat them - just checking.

Cheers,

Andy

Sometimes, when a yolk is released from the ovary there is a small amount of bleeding. We have one hen here that is prone to this and we don't give her eggs away, even though they are perfectly safe to eat (we eat them). Commercially, eggs are scanned for this and taken out, presumably for other uses. No way of fixing this @AndyRoo,but you do need to establish which hen it is if you are selling your eggs, because it is off-putting for the customers.

On 4/7/2022 at 10:17 AM, Beantree said:

Sometimes, when a yolk is released from the ovary there is a small amount of bleeding. We have one hen here that is prone to this and we don't give her eggs away, even though they are perfectly safe to eat (we eat them). Commercially, eggs are scanned for this and taken out, presumably for other uses. No way of fixing this @AndyRoo,but you do need to establish which hen it is if you are selling your eggs, because it is off-putting for the customers.

I did wonder if it was something like that. Unfortunately there's not really a way for me to tell which hen is problematic as several lay the same coloured eggs. It's only something that's been happening recently.

Could I screen them by holding them up to a torch?

On 4/7/2022 at 3:14 PM, Lewis said:

You could put a drop of food colouring inside the vent and then it will transfer onto the egg shell to find out which one is laying them.
I'd think you should be able to see it by candling them with a phone torch

Ah, good idea. I guess I'd have to do each hen in turn to establish it - but I'll definitely give it a shot.