Guest George Woods

My rabbit has an attitude problem!

Hi all...

I got my Eglu yesterday, its fab!!! :lol: - i spent about 30 mins or so putting the run together for me little Thumper, who is a 5 month old Lop Ear (English).

I think she likes it but she hasnt been in it much at the moment, might take time for her to get used to it.

The main reason for me posting is i wanted to find out if anyone else's Rabbit has an attitude problem?? I think it started about 2 months ago when unfortunately i had to get Thumpers front teeth removed as the vet said they didnt align properly, and they would just keep growing - I didnt really want to get this done, but i decided it was for the best.

Anyway.. as she is getting older she is becoming more like an angry dog than a nice little Rabbit, (dont get me wrong, i still love her to bits!) I cant touch her Eglu when she is in it, she cant see me clean it out, (she was like this with her old hutch) if, when stroking her i touch her back leg she growls at me, then goes for me.. (its more like she is pushing me away than attacking me)

She is very possesive over anything too... she lets me stroke her when she wants to, picking her up is a complete NO NO!! - she goes mad.. thats why i bought the eglu, as she normally has full run of my garden (its completely safe) but getting her back in her old hutch again was impossible!! :x

She can be playful (when she wants to be) she loves my little yorkie (spike) and they play together so she isnt a recluse or anything....

Does anyone else have a rabbit like this? I cant be the only one Surly?? :cry:

How old is she George? Once they get to about 6 months, they go through puberty and get very hormonal and stroppy. All female bunnies need spaying at this age as they are very prone to getting uterine cancer if they are left entire and not bred. This will also sort out any stroppyness once the hormones have abated after a couple of weeks.

I have two female mini lops and they went through an aggressive stage just before i got them spayed. They are fine now and have settled back down, although they do tend to bonk each other (sapphic bunnies :roll: ), but this is normal and part of the 'pecking order' thing.

Speak to your vet about getting her done if she hasn't already. There is a slight risk associated with giving all small furries an anaesthetic, but she should be fine. Try to handle her as much as she allows to get her used to being stroked.

Let me know how you get on.

I got my pair of rabbits as neutered adults from a shelter. They are beautiful and sweet - perfectly friendly when not handled, but often growl and flee when touched. On the one hand, I like a herbivore with a bit of character, but it would be nice to be able to stroke them more often... (The shelter were very keen on rabbits living in pairs, as they're social animals, and a neutered boy-girl pair is apparently relatively easy to introduce).

I saw a suggestion that if the rabbit is very mardy about being touched, starting off by stroking with a long handled soft hair brush might be safer. But it sounds like yours isn't that grumpy?

thanks for the Advice!!

Clare, Thumper is 5 months old, so that ties in with what you have said, i didnt even know that they go through puberty, i feel like an idiot now, as i read loads about rabbits before i got one, and have continued to get advice from the Internet about her behaviour, at last now i know why. :idea:

I will visit that website too, thanks very much!!

I was seriously thinking about getting another Rabbit but i was put off due to Thumper being angry all the time... do you think it will be okay to get another one? even now that Thumper is nearly 6 months old?

I am definately now going to get Thumper spayed, should i wait until this is done till i get another.... ??

Are two girls together okay? or a boy and a girl - will the boy try and mate with Thumper even though she has been spayed?

So many questions :shock:

Thanks

The questions are ok George - it's the only way to find out. Personally, I would wait until she'd recovered from the op and her hormones have settled down before introducing another bunny, then if you get a boy, he will need to be done, or he'll jump everything in sight :roll: including your legs and feet :roll::shock:

Either combo of pairings would be fine, although another female would need spaying too. Any new bunny needs to be introduced carefully and gradually, so extra housing will need to be considered for that period. There will be a bit of s"Ooops, word censored!"ping as they settle down, but make sure that you supervise them at first to avoid any serious injury.

Bunnies are very sociable and need playmates unless they are house bunnies and have your company. If you are getting another one, then if you aren't too far from her, try Karen at Ross rabbits - you won't go wrong there.

Just in case you're interested in a adopting a homeless rabbit:

This thread was started by the owner of Princess Nina (a very pretty rabbit in the photo galleries), and its got the contact details for the Wood Green shelters. I might have given you the impression that they're likely to be unfriendly, but several of the rabbits we saw at the Wood Green were much tamer than my pair. I chose mine for beauty rather than cuddliness.