kalikoo

Hi Slighty Nervous New Member

Hi Everyone,

Got my Eglu and girls (Scarlet & Honey) two days ago. I am a complete novice and I'm feeling a bit nervous. I have been constantly checking to see if they are ok, I seem to have turned into mother hen overnight.

The girls seem fine but my normally well behaved collie has become obssessed with them which is a worry and I hope she'll settle soon, any advice for their first face to face meeting would be appreciated.

Yesterday the girls hardly came out of the eglu which was understandable cos it was raining all day and I know they hate rain but today is dry and they still seem to want to stay inside is this normal?

(green eglu)

GNR Scarlet

PP Honey

Hi Kalikoo, welcome. Don't worry about being nervous we have all been there and it is normal to fuss a bit at first. Just about anything you could ask has probalbly been covered here somewhere get yourself comfy for a good read and if there is anything else just ask there is usually someone who can give an answer. As for the collie I have a chicken obsessed cat check the pics in the chooks from the north album he is so comical and now the girls are used to him they ignore him and even try to peck at him so they will be okay. There are a few topics on chickens and dogs and hopefully one of the moderators will do you some fast links :lol: Keep us posted and join in the fun

Hello Kalikoo, welcome to the forum. :D

I was nervous at first but, 10 weeks later, they are just as much fun but I do feel more confident.

As Louise says, reading up in previous topics is very helpful (and interesting). I have learned so much through this forum & everyone is so friendly, so its good to know whatever you experience with your chooks, someone has prob. already been there! 8)

A quick way to read about your collie encounter is to type relevant word (eg dogs!) into the search facility which is at top of screen. Also, "stickies" are recorded at the top of each list of topics which again are helpful if you have a particular problem.

Happy reading (but don't read too many scary problems) and do ask any more questions you have, and keep us posted on their progress.

Lovely names too! What day did they arrive and are they literally not coming out of Eglu, or are they coming out to feed & drink but then going back in? (the latter not worrying if they've only just arrived, but keep us up to date how today goes & I'm sure one of our experts can advise!

Best wishes...and don't be nervous, :):)

Hello Kalikoo,

Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about being nervous. It's something we all went through - some of us still get nervous!!

As Sheila says, check out the stickies in all the sections and I'll try and organise a "Chickens and other animals" one as there have been so many questions about chickens and dogs. Give me a while and all the doggy topics will be accessible via one topic.

Back when I've done some reorganising!

Hi Louise & Sheila

Thanks girls for taking me under your wings so to speak. I'm still trying to find my way round the forum and have read some useful info already but I will keep looking to keep myself abreast! Can't help the chicken puns can you!

With regard to the chickens they arrived on Tuesday 29th March and seemed to settle fine, yesterday it rained all day but to get them I made a makeshift cover as the winter shade has not arrived yet and they came out and fed, but today they have not come out of the eglu into the run at all so they have not eaten or drank any water. I have checked them through the egg porthole and they are just huddled together looking very nervous I did'nt want to pick them up whilst they were like this thought this might make them more nervous, I'm wondering whether something may have spooked them in the night.

Many thanks, Kal XX

(green eglu)

GNR Scarlet

PP Honey

Ah, not sure what I would do but think Kate will be back in a mo. They are so new that they may be more nervous than you, & also recovering from journey.

Makeshift cover sounds good idea in view of yesterdays rain but, just a thought; its not such a big cover that the run is too dark is it?...they might think its night, & they do need plenty of daylight....is it an enormous tarpaulin? I do try & think of every possibility!

Hi Kal,

Just finished the sticky in the chickens section so just click here and you're there!

Sheila's right, it may well be nerves. They probably feel safe and warm in the Eglu and if it's been raining and cold outside, I can't say I blame them! Good idea to rig up a waterproof shade for them. Mine have one and make a beeline for it as soon as the heavens open. Perhaps they'll come out for some food soon. However, good thinking Sheila. If it's too big they may well think it's a very long night!

Hi All,

Just been out and gently forced them out into the run and shut the eglu door as it's warm and sunny and see if they get used to us being outside. They don't look nervous once they are out and are not freightened of the dog (she's still running around the eglu I think she's trying to round them up)

The makeshift cover is clear plastic but I took this off this morning thinking that may have been the problem but obviously it was'nt maybe there just in lazy mode today. Anyway I'll go and keep my eye on the them and will let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the help

Speak soon Kal XX :D:D:D

Hi and welcome Kal. I had the opposite problem with my girls and for the first three nights couldn't get them to go in the EEglu at all. Catching them in the run and posting the through the egg port was a thing I hope none of my neighbours saw :oops::oops:

My chooks were out in the garden in the rain for ages the other day. I was quite worried when they went into their eglu for the night, with soaking wet feathers. I was tempted to get a towel out to dry them, but I thought it would scare them :shock:

They seemed to be ok the following morning, though.

I was the same Karen, in fact the little :twisted: 's had me feeling guilty as they now let themselves out okay so I lay in bed on Saturday till about 9am - bliss. Then looked out to see them in the run in the pouring rain and I thought oh no they haven't pushed the door far enough and are trapped outside so I rushed out and opened the door further and they ................................ stayed out in the rain :roll::roll::roll:

Hi All,

Quick update - All is well the girls came out this morning (in the rain) had a feed went back inside. Winter cover arrived so put this on and they have been in and out of the run all day looking much more relaxed. Dog still running around them like a looney!

Feeling not so nervous now thanks for all the advice and words of encouragement.

Luv Kal XX

(green eglu)

GNR Scarlet

PP Honey