xChicken04x

Pond filters

Hi all, we are thinking of getting about 4 ducks for the garden. I know they would need a pond, but emptying and refiling a small plastic tray everyday doesn't seem too apealing :?. So I'm just wondering if a pond about 2 metres by about 50cm would get dirty if it had a filter? How often would the water need changing? Would it work, or be just as dirty?

Thank you for any help.

xx

Hi

You will be amazed at how quickly ducks can foul a pond.

I have noticed that as soon as their bottoms touch the water they gear up for a poop :lol:

You would have to get a really good and likely expensive filter to keep it clean, and you would still have to clean the filter itself on a regular basis.

You really don't have to provide a pond or even a paddling pool.

As long as ducks can dunk their heads in water deep enough to rinse their eyes they are fine.

You could have a paddling pool to use a couple of times a week if you really want to, the rest of the time a large litter tray is enough for them to wash in.

BUT YOU MUST PROVIDE THEM WITH A DEEP CONTAINER OF WATER TO RINSE THEIR EYES IN

Iknow you will love and enjoy your ducks, they are just so much fun.

Just a thought

Just to give you an idea of what you would be dealing with pond wise

When you get your ducks, put them in a bath of water together and you will get an idea of how much mess they are likely to make of a pond :wink:

I'm not an expert but am speaking from experience I think the size pond you are thinking of will be nowhere near big enough for one duck let alone four.

Another thing you can do is spray the ducks with the garden hose(very gentle pressure of course) Or a water spray bottle they will do the rest, they just want to be clean is all.

Maybe you could put some pictures on when you get them? :)

I'm not an expert but am speaking from experience I think the size pond you are thinking of will be nowhere near big enough for one duck let alone four.

I don't get it :oops: Some people just give their ducks a washing up bowl of water or an under-the-bed storage tray, which isn't that big, but the ducks seem Ok :? How is a 2 meter by 50cm (about 3 foot deep) pond not big enough? I hope I don't sound rude :anxious: It's difficult to put the tone of the message across, plus I'm rubbish at wording messages :roll:. I'm just curious, how big a pond would you think would be Ok for about four ducks? Worst comes to the worst, we will have to only get two....or not get any at all :shock:.

xx

Hi Hunny

I know exactly what you are trying to say and it's not coming across as rude at all. :wink:

Like you I am not too good at putting things acros so prob didn't explain properly.

The only way I can explain it is, if your going to have a pond your ducks wont only get in it to wash, they will swim in it ,they might mate in it, they might even take a nap in it they will most certainly pooh lots in it, just because it's there.

To cope with all that your pond needs to be big enough not to get fouled up by the first two or three poohs, or you are going to need an extremly good and expensive filter.

Try putting one duck in a bathfull of water and you will soon see what I mean, one poop and it's yuk.

If you use a wash bowl or tray your bird/s will have their wash and that's it

They wont keep popping back in just to make life hard for you :wink:

You can even some days give them a squirt with a water spray bottle,

Some people leave lawn sprinklers on for a while and their ducks love it.

It may of course depend on the breed of duck, naturally the bigger the duck the bigger the pooh :lol:

I saw somewhere some one set up a container that could be drained off just like pulling the plug on the bath, it had a pipe connected so it drained off straight into the drain. and another comming from an outside tap to refill it again. They just had to rinse it round once in a while like you would the bath.

They put a small shelf on the inside so the ducks could climb out, and a little ramp.

Much easier than cleaning a pond.

Every one I have come across with ducks has advised against having a pond to be honest.

But having said that there may be someone on here who has found a good way to do it :wink:

We have ducks there calls so farily small they have under bed storage other half is going to put a drainage system on it so to make my life easier.The thing is you learn fairly quick your self what they need.My female is sitting on egggs so at the moment there apart but living next door to each other.As long as they have enough space and there happy then you will learn the rest as you go along. :D let us know how you get on.

I have 3 ducks and they have a rectangular pond in their run. The pond is silmilar to the laguna goldfish tub : http://www.seapets.co.uk/product-details/stkcode/461374/category/88.html

My husband built some decking steps around the pond which the ducks use to climb in and out and they spend most of their time either in the pond or preening on the decking. When I first got them I had a couple of washing up bowls and quickly realised that they needed something bigger because they were trying to swim round in circles and kept getting in each others way. The pond is quiet easy to empty with a section of clear hose used as a syphon. When it's almost empty I can pick it up and empty out the last few bits and give it a good hose down. Even so I've been trying for a while to find a small filter and pump that might mean the water stays cleaner longer. If anyone has any ideas about filters for duck ponds I'd love to hear.

Btw this is the first time I've ever posted to a forum so forgive me if I'm rambling on !

Thank you all for being so helpfull and kind :wink:.

I was recomended this on the practical poultry websitehttp://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=Submerge+dirty+water+pump

It works like a plug, it sucks all the water out :D.

Maybe we could put two ponds in, to share the poop :lol:.

The pond I'm looking at buying isn't a square shape, its a kind of circle, but not :?. Its like a big circle at the top and a smaller one at the bottom, but joined together. I thought it was about 2 metres by 50 cm but its not, I went back a today and its bigger, about 3 metres by one metre :D and it costs £75.

Does that sound good?

xx