bokbok

Delicate question

Unfortunately a chicken is a living creature like all other pets and humans and will inevitably die t some stage.

Don't let this put you off, Some chickens have been known to live up to 10 years others are unlucky and can dies of ill health at a few months or so.

There is also Mr fox to watch for is you let them free range unattended too.

Generally the omlet hybrid chickens seem to be going strong at 2-3 years as far as I am, aware, My Original Omlet girls are 2 1/2 now and healthy.

I think the average expectancy is about 5 years However I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I've only had one hen die-she was put down though as she had a suspected stroke according to the lovely and very helpful guy we bought her from.

She was a Black Rock and we had her for about 1 year and 11 months. She was probably 2 1/4 years old. Honestly she was just in bad health.

But we got Muddles at the same time as Henrietta and she is very happy and probably 2 and 3/4 years now and still going strong and a picture of health.

We have had Starlet less time than Muddles but only by 2 months or so and she's probably 2 and 1/2 years old and is happy and healthy!

Beauty, who died last week, was a hybrid and about 20 months old - she had laid consistently since I got her, stopped for a few weeks (she didn't stop last winter), and when she came back into lay the eggs were all coming out in bits. I assume she died of an infection.

Most of my other girls are pure breeds that I've hatched so I'm expecting some broody hens this year - but they might live longer.

Beauty, who died last week, was a hybrid and about 20 months old - she had laid consistently since I got her, stopped for a few weeks (she didn't stop last winter), and when she came back into lay the eggs were all coming out in bits. I assume she died of an infection.

I had a similar experience with my second hybrid - she had her first big moult last autumn and stopped laying for quite a long time, then about three weeks after she came back into lay she had a prolapse and died (the weather had been very wet and quite cold, so she probably wasn't in peak condition to start with).

The constant laying takes a toll on their health - and the nature of chickens' anatomy (one orifice for both eggs and excreta, major blood vessels in the area) means they are very prone to these kinds of reproductive problems as they get older. Obviously it's only a percentage of hens who die early - others live many happy, productive years.

The other two I lost died soon after I got them, probably a combination of the stress of being moved plus the incredibly hot weather at the time - my gardening diary notes temperatures of 28-34 C :shock: , which is uncomfortably hot for chickens!