This is great. So much useful information.

I wondered if a trendy green, iglu matching, litter tray would be any good as a make shift starter dustbath? :? I think My husband will make a dust bath with roof at some point in the future but we now are doing final garden sort ready for chickens next week.

Bx

Try a tub trug they come in shallow versions which are ideal

Do you put your dust baths in the run with the chickens all the time or just every now and then?

xx

I haven't got my chickens yet but i assume all the time since they use it so stop getting any beasties in their feathers just make sure it can't get wet or dust bath will become sludge bath lol

We use a tyre filled with compost and ash, it works great, they all like to sit around the edge too like witches over a cauldron (or so my husband says) he thinks they are plotting! :lol:

The only practical problem with using a tyre is that the contents get hollowed out and end up in the dip inside the edge of the tyre, I use a bamboo cane to bring it all back in to the middle and they start all over again!

We use a tyre filled with compost and ash, it works great, they all like to sit around the edge too like witches over a cauldron (or so my husband says) he thinks they are plotting! :lol:

The only practical problem with using a tyre is that the contents get hollowed out and end up in the dip inside the edge of the tyre, I use a bamboo cane to bring it all back in to the middle and they start all over again!

Great - i know it wasn't a daft idea !

I've got a covered cat litter tray but at the moment they're more interested in eating the contents than bathing in them! Will they just do it when they feel they need it or do they need a bit of help to start with?

I am not sure I assume they do it instinctively part and parcel of being a chicken but maybe an experienced owner will answer it for ye x

I had thought of using a cat litter tray but i wasn't sure if it was big enough so i am ordering a couple of tub trugs they look kewl then there is no fighting over the bath lolye know what girls are like :lol: