i am going to get my chickens a dust bath, well paul is going to make the chickens a dust bath.

will really fine sand do the trick or should i be using something else?? ive seen some kiln dried sand that looks like it will do the trick but im not sure. :?

thanks everyone.

laura :D

My dad built the girls a dustbath with a roof, and I filled it with a mixture of sand and top soil they love it and spend a lot of time bathing or just using it to shelter from the weather, because it is covered the soil and sand stay dry............... :D

Good luck with the project hope this helps........ :D You need the base to be quite deep so they don't flick all the dirt out.

Both Lesley and Trish mention using louse powder in their dust baths. Should I be doing that :?: There is so much to learn :shock: Where did you get your louse powder from :?:

Please advise me, I'm just a novice at this chicken rearing :roll:

Thankyou :lol:

I don't use louse powder - yet! I know you can get it from the sort of shops that sell animal feed. We have a place called The One Stop Chicken Shop near us and they supply it but I haven't seen any sign of lice on the girls and they seem to keep clean by regularly dustbathing in just the dry topsoil. However, if I do spot any critters, I'll be straight off for some powder!!

I hate lice, fleas, mite etc after we had a kitten nearly die from anemia brought on by fleas (she was like it when we got her, not my doing Honest) so I use louse powder and do the Eglu with Red mite powder as well. I can get feed locally but that's all so I got my other supplies over the internet from www.ascott.biz. They are suppliers for small holders and therefore don't expect everyone to have hundreds of chickens and need kilos of everything

Have just read the discussion on dustbaths - thank you for the idea of giving the girls a custom-made one. Milly and Molly have been practically free-range for the last 3 weeks whilst I've been on holiday and have been creating their own dustbaths in my flowerbeds (sigh). There are little craters all over the garden. We had chooks when I was a kid, but they were on the farm and it didn't matter how much paddock they scratched up and made holes in. I've discovered (much as I love Milly and Molly) that having them in the backyard is a very different thing. Luckily, my husband, who is pretty besotted by the girls, comes home every night and cleans up after them!

This is great. So much useful information.

I wondered if a trendy green, iglu matching, litter tray would be any good as a make shift starter dustbath? :? I think My husband will make a dust bath with roof at some point in the future but we now are doing final garden sort ready for chickens next week.

Bx

Hi Buffie,

The litter tray sounds perfect - mine had a big seed tray to start off with and they used it one at a time. They now have a really big deep tray which they can use together. The best bit about dustbathing is when they've finished and they shake off all the dust like a dog would. When they've walked away, there are little starfish footprints left in the middle of the pile of dust they've shaken off :lol::lol: !

my chickies had their first dust bath today! we bought a really wide flower pot and filled it with childrens play sand. they were in it for hours in the sunshine. now theres sand everywhere but it doesnt matter becuase it made them so happy!

I'm going to have to build a dust-bath for my chooks. They've been having a great time dust-bathing in my greenhouse border, but yesterday Camilla jumped up onto the shelf and bit the top off one of my little tomato plants :evil:

Good job I planted a few extra ones :)

We just add it as a precaution - we've never noticed any problems. We bought a tube (a bit like Pringles) from our Countrywide store and just sprinkle some in their dust bath occasionally

I like the idea of putting louse powder in a dust bath, but do they eat the powder? And would it matter if they did? I've put extra grit in the dust bath, so I'm encouraging them to peck away in it and wouldn't like them to get ill.

Wow, I've just seen one of my girls have a dust bath for the first time.

I could spend ages outside and have never seen it, but hubby was out there today, just about to cut the grass and he came in to tell me PP parsley was in the tray.

She was in there ages, once she was finished with the rolling about she just sat there in a bit of a daze!

I'm so glad as I didn't think they liked the wooden tray which I filled with childrens play sand and top soil, the most I had seen them do was eat it :shock: or stand in it and kick it about abit!!! :roll:

Hopefully the other two have been doing it to, probably when I haven't been looking. :wink:

Sammi

-x-8)

:lol::lol: Sammi .. my two were taking a "bath" and Mrs Snowy decided to help Ginger finishing hers, and pecked a few bits I suppose she could not reach herself( in a chooks eyes) ...... Ginger retorted by leaping up and giving Snowy a good peck back. :shock::roll: .

:lol::lol::lol: The 1st time Graham saw the dustbath he thought Ginger had died. :wink::shock::lol: .

I think the louse powder is harmless if they eat it, mine seem fine and they often eat bits of the bath. All birds will preen themselves and the powder has to be in contact with the chickens to work so I figure it must be safe for them to eat some.