Moonie

Advice please....

Hello all, i have posted a few times about Phylis and her poorly leg. She's booked into the vets tomorrow for an xray. :? Anyway my prob is that the vet today said she may not be able to use her leg properly again. I am unsure how she hurt her leg, my suspicions are with Doris the ex batt, Phylis was head of the pecking order and now Doris has taken that role. Do you think Doris could have broken her leg? Is this possible? :? So what do i do if fingers crossed, I get my Phyl back in the cube with the others and free ranging and Doris keeps attacking her because she sees her as a weak bird?? Please advise me anyone, I feel really upset at the moment, because i wanted them to get on so well and if i hadn't got the new girls in Phyl would be ok. :cry: Am i being ridiculous when it could have been anything that could have hurt her??

I wouldn't cross that bridge till you come to it Moonie.

You don't know for sure what is ailing Phylis yet.

If Doris does have a go at her, take Doris out if the flock for a while and then reintroduce her later when the dynamics have changed.

You might have to supervise a bit, but there will be a way round it.

we have a girl with bad legs who can only hop about. She sleeps with the other girls at night and during the day she has her own bit of the run sectioned off.

Can you do this for Phylis while she convalesces?

some pics so you can see what I mean, we took the big kennel out today and just put a cat carrier in for her to shelter in during the day as she sleeps with the other girls at night no problem. It's just during the day that they peck her.

We just sectioned it off with some netting so they can all see each other during the day.

Maybe you could rig something up like this for her?

bea1.jpg

bea100308.jpg

I wouldn't cross that bridge till you come to it Moonie.

You don't know for sure what is ailing Phylis yet.

If Doris does have a go at her, take Doris out if the flock for a while and then reintroduce her later when the dynamics have changed.

You might have to supervise a bit, but there will be a way round it.

Thanks Egluntine, I know i'm being daft, but it's just upsetting me because she is in pain and looks miserable without her girls. Chook eh! :roll:

That's a good idea Poet, I could use the omlet netting for Phylis during the day with a cat box for shelter. What's wrong with your chooks legs?

we were told it was similar to gout or arthritis. Her joints don't bend properly and she can't weight bear on her right leg at all. The left one is swollen but she manages to hop around on it. We try and make her as comfortable as poss and she has apple cider vinegar in her water to try and ease it a bit.

Hope Phylis will be okay.

xxx

Thanks poet, she goes in for her xray at 8am and i hopefully pick her up in the afternoon, it's a risk as she as to be anesthetised. :cry: Poor your girl, but she sounds like she is being well and truly pampered with you!! :D You have given me hope that she can still be ok. I thought the vet would advise me to have her put down if her leg is useless, but if yours still potters around then theres hope for my Phyl!

a vet recommended that Bea be put down but she still has a decent quality of life, enjoys treats and a cuddle (she sat on my lap today and nearly fell asleep she was that comfy! :D) so we think she deserves a crack at life. If she couldn't move around at all then it would possibly be the kindest thing to do but not while she can still get around.

Fingers x'd for little Phylis, let us know how she gets on.

xxxxx