rusky123

Food treats for ducks

I really want to get my new runners a bit tamer. Can anyone suggest a good treat for ducks. I do not want to give them bread because I have heard it is bad for them. I was thinking about chopped hard boiled egg, I know my garden birds love eggs and cheese, but I do not want to give ducks something that might be bad for them. I am such a newbie that until I read posts on this forum I did not know that hay as bedding was a no no. Thank you, Moyna

A bit confusing there in the Practical Poultry link! :shock:

You can/can't/can give them lettuce :lol:

Ours like a bit of lettuce or torn up spinach on their pond but mostly they get a handful of corn each when the hens get theirs in the afternoon.

I'm glad you found out about the hay Moyna - straw is for bedding and hay is for eating.......... but not for eating by hens and ducks as it may cause impacted crop.

I think I will try a little lettuce, along with some fresh veggies. Pasta also sounds good.Duck eggs make the best pasta. I had thought of gathering the slugs that congregate under a shrub in the front garden, and of scouring local ponds for duckweed, can I buy it anywhere?. I have got to try to get them into their house. Never had a fox in my garden, but even thought I live in a town there are loads of foxes about. I have seen quite a few dead ones lately, I feel quite sad for them, unless my dog rolls in their poo and I quite hate them :wink: . I have had varying opinions on what to feed ducks, but I now feed them layers pellets and grain in water. They seem to thrive on it. They are kept on grass, well it used to be grass, and have a run of about 35ft by 15ft.. It is such a joy to go down the garden and watch them. Good therapy. Goodnight all, Moyna