munchkin

Worrying over nothing??

This might sound daft, but I'm worrying that i can only let the chooks out when i come home from work - 5.45pm.

Either I am watching them or I've got my poor suffering OH on foxwatch whilst they are freeranging as we have foxes in the area. We can't risk taking our eyes off them whilst they are out.

Are they happy in the run (regular run supplied by omlet)? Or are we best to try and make a larger permanent run. Is the convertor worth considering?

I've only had them since 12/4/08 and I'm worrying already!! :roll:

As the evenings are getting lighter they will get more and more free range time after you come home from work. Mine stayed up really late at the height of ast Summer.

In mid Winter when it gets dark so early I was shutting mine away by 3.30pm before I went on the school run. So a converter would be handy in winter.

If you have the room (and the money for one) the convertor is nice addition anytime of year and my girls love the extra space, but then I've 4 hens.

The standard Eglu run is designed to be big enough for two small (i.e. hybrid) hens to be kept in all the time.

But the convertor would give them a bit more scope, and is certainly necessary if you go up to three hens. And if you go to four, then you need a convertor and an extension.

Most of us are in the position of having to keep our hens cooped up, and can only day-dream of beautiful walk-in designer runs. Very few people can let their hens free-range safely.

Very few people can let their hens free-range safely.

It seems I may be one of those people. I came back from work yesterday to find my girlies happily free-ranging. I'd let them out while I was doing the dishes at 8am :shock::oops: .

Although I'm mightily relieved, I'll not be making a habit of it :? .

Glad they were okay ANH. Must have caused your heart to skip a beat tho?!

Our paranoia is around oversleeping, rushing out to work & half-way up the motorway realising we've forgotten to open the eglu :!:

Mine are out most afternoons (i work at home) only if i am in the house i wouldn't go out and leave them but when i'm in i constantly check on them. Never seen a fox anywhere in the vicinity nor has anyone else but i am aware they could be around and always lock them in at night. Its a risk you choose to take i suppose, any sign of one and they would never go out alone!

Sorry to sound like the Prophet of Doom, BarbaraJ, but the first time you may know about a fox is when one of your girls is taken.

It's just that there have been so many sad posts on here recently about 'foxing', another one this morning where someone lost all three hens in the night. :( Please be cautious, foxes don't just come at night.