SueChick

Please Help Me Fight the Baldness!!

I am definitely losing the balding chicken fight. After trying louse powder weekly and no change on bald patches on the side of my gingernut ranger, I have come to the conclusion that it is not her pulling feathers out due to lice but more likely her lovely glossy looking sister who is helping herself to her feathers.

I am beginning to lose the will to fight now. I have been fighting thise since about November! The newest regime was to daily spray her with gentian violet to hide the redness in the patches and anti-peck spray. We really started to see some improvement. Little fluffy black feathers were growing over the patches and the patches were nearly gone. Then, out of the blue, she was bald again. Just the same as always before...on the side. I am getting so disheartened. I have put up spring greens to ease any possible boredom cause, given extra minerals to prevent a mineral inbalance cause and now just don't know what to do.

I am so scared of the whole bumper bit scenario but I will probably have to face this fear soon as my poor Nugget looks awful. Some of the bumper bits look terrifying - one I saw actually went into their nostrils too. I just can't do that. Are there extremes of bits - are there just little band ones that only go round the beak and not metal things that also go in the nostrils. I really feel out of my depth on this one and just can't imagine having to put something on her like this.

Has anyone used that digusting spray (forgot the name but starts with U) instead of bits? Does it work? The anti-spray stuff from Omlet hasn't worked. I would love to use the spray instead of bits if it does work.

Please help a desparately tired out chicken owner with a tatty-looking somewhat purple tinged chicken.....

Thanks so much for your kind offer. I am still terrified of putting something on my ladies but maybe you could help with some advice about it. What are they like - the ones you have? Are they easy to put on? Do you think I should try the spray first??? Sorry for all the questions.