argent13uk

Plant Protection

We have found that green chicken wire sold by Wilkinsons is quite u"Ooops, word censored!"trusive around some plants and at the moment we have a few smaller things covered with upturned wire hanging baskets.

My cat felled some late daffodils yesterday after a session sniffing my new catnep plant :lol:

Unfortunately putting chicken wire around flowers kind of takes away the point of having pretty flowers! :(

Not sure what I'm going to do if mine start attacking my poenies! Fortunately the part of the garden that my chickens free range is mainly tough shrubs and new zealand flax, roses, montbretia, sedum and grass. If they attack my favourite day lillies or peonies, I will probably move the plants!

I'm lucky to have a large garden with different areas that can be sectioned off with low trellis.

I've protected my garlic with lots of short canes linked with twine in a kind of cats cradle affair in the hope that it is too restrictive for the hens to get in and scratch. I've also done this round a new plant I've just put in.

Emerging perennials get protected with overturned wire hanging baskets as they are practically invisible and my veggies have expanding trellis round them.

Jo

so far I have lost 3 well nurtured tomato seedlings and 4 bean plants - and OH has lost his lupins!!! I have resorted to shouting "oven" and "sage and onion stuffing" loudly at them :shock: Don't think this has any particular effect on the chooks but does make me feel somewhat better - oh also gives neighbours a good laugh and is kinder to young ears than expletives! :evil: