buffie

Weighty eggs

First eggs are usually small - except for certain notorious eglu hens who try to lay a double yolker or something equally painful for their first go and then spend days recovering, possibly popping out a couple of soft shelled ones in the process. :roll:

Pure breeds have more variation in egg size then the modern hybrids. Numbers and size can go right down during winter months, on top of the total lack of eggs when some hens moult. I've noticed a 5-10g increase in size now we have nice long days. As hens get older there is commonly a slight reduction in size.

What we all regard as a normal egg, ie about 70g, is actually pretty large and few purebreeds will achieve that size. Ask grandparents about the eggs that were around when they were young. They'll probably mention that most eggs used to be white, as is the case now in USA.

Hi Buffie, my girls are pure breeds and they are the one that they primarily use for egg production in the USA with pure white eggs. The smallest ones I have had were about 41g at the beginning but now they are both consistenly laying about 62-65g. I had one 67g monster which was as Jayne said a double yolker

hello, my meringue is always laying big eggs, with some not letting the lid shut on the egg box! but florentine always seems to lay little eggs, like little pullet's eggs. but meringues big eggs do seem to cause a few soft shelled ones being layed - usually on the patio outside :? i havent really noticed any size difference, just that meringues eggs always seem to be the biggest!

:shock: Graham laughed at Mrs Snowys 2nd egg .... "they better get bigger than that" he commented. :evil: . I then explained it is better to lay small ones and improve than go head 1st into the biggies. Thankyou for confirming this ... he just thinks I'm soft on them. :roll::wink:

my Black Rock lays eggs that are averaging 54g, the Warren is around 60g, with a monster 70g egg a couple of days ago, with a bit of splitting around her vent.

They have only been with us for 3 weeks now (is that all!!) and my lovely Margot has only been laying for 10 days. Dolores, that bossy soul, laid one the first day and has hit her daily lay 2 weeks ago.

I did actually buy eggs at the farmers market because they were Maran eggs and I had such a hankering for a Maran. Practicalities meant I went for hybrids, but i retain a real soft spot for Marans and I wanted to try the eggs.

So, lots of ice cream making in our house, because that uses up 5 yolks

:wink:

I always used to have Marans which are totally gorgeous hens. Not the best broody, with individual exceptions of course, but I always had a bantam or 2 around who did my hatching and chick rearing. Some Maran cockerals can be extremely vicious in protecting their harem. The eggs of course are deep brown with even darker speckles all over.

That is one reason I got a bluebelle, being a Maran RIR cross - unfortunately the eggs are a pale blush pink! But Pollo is a lovely hen.

Re Warrens. I remember when they were first around in the 70's (in our bit of Warwickshire anyway). I think they were one of the first hybrids produced for laying lots of really large eggs. I was a bit ticked off when I left home, leaving the hens with my mum, and she bought in some Warrens rather than hatching a mix of Marans, Light Sussex and the two crossed as I had always done. I think that Warrens were a breed kept in batteries :evil::evil::evil: and probably need carefully controlled intensive conditions to produce the monster eggs you can buy in supermarkets. I'd rather have smaller eggs and happy hens doing natural hen behaviour :D

Here here!!!

Little eggs are delicious and I actually hope they stay comfortable for the girls and not worried if they stay just as they are. It's almost as if they are saying "hey no one is expecting us to produce perfectly shaped huge eggs so we can relax and ofer a nice 'little tasty and they will be happy".

As I have said before would still love them if no eggs were part of the deal!

Bx :lol:

motherhen: yes, i have 2 warrens which would've gone to the batteries if we hadn't had bought them, poor things they've been de-beaked as well :( they are lovely hens though, and i don't know how they have trust in people after where they came from - hundreds of them in one big cage waiting to be taken away. They are serious egg laying machines though - definatly bred for the batteries.

I really can't recommend warrens highly enough, based on my teeny experience of one. She is the soppiest, friendliest and greediest chook imaginable, and I do love those dark brown eggs.

Today the egg was 74g. Getting bigger and bigger.

But most importantly, she has a lovely nature and is great with my kids.