biddy41

Advice Needed

Hi there - we got our three girls about 5 weeks ago and when they first arrived we put them in their nice new Purple Eglu on the lawn in the back garden. For the first 9 days we had eggs from 2 of the girls, Rockie and Ginger - Rockie laid daily and Ginger approx every 2nd day.

Plucky the smallest and youngest wasn`t laying yet.

The girls were overwhelmed with treats from our two children, just to see what they liked etc., but we kept them on the layers mash that they had been on before we got them.

We wondered if the change had caught up with them, the going from a shed onto the grass and all the treats.

I wormed them with Fluebenvet for the prescribed period of time, I sprayed them and dusted them for lice and mites and they all seem perky enough.

I add Chicken Spice to their food and they are all taking the layers mash and the layers pellets and the grit that we have in a seperate dish.

They get their mixed corn and grain in the afternoon and their appetite appears fine.

But for nearly 4 weeks now not another egg!

Having no experience with chickens - I looked on the forum and wondered if it was a problem with their crops and the grass. So I dosed them with olive oil and massaged according to advice. The crops seem ok.

I told the kids to hold back on the treats to let their digestive systems get a rest, in case this was the problem. - no change.

We have now moved them off the grass, onto the patio area and cut down on the time they are out of their run.

They are still alert and perky, but still no eggs.

On top of this the youngest one has become very vocal over the last two days and has had watery brownish poohs. She been in the nesting box making noises but produced nothing.

I`m obsessed with looking at pooh, looking for any sign that we are missing eggs, whether they are being eaten by others, or whether they are laying shell-less eggs etc.

Any advice would be appreciated, as I`m at my wits end.

Are they free ranging? They could be laying eggs under a shrub or similar in the garden.

I would limit them to pellets only and keep them in their run until mid afternoon, that should make a difference.

Is it possible that a two legged predator is sneaking in and stealing the eggs?

The girls are only allowed out on supervision - so no danger of them laying whilst out of the run.

We have a secure back garden with a high fence and a locked gate on one side and a neighbour who is in her mid 80`s on the other, who is also,like us 2nd in on a block of 4, her neighbours are pensionable age also. So I don`t think anyone is stealing any eggs laid. The girls only get out if I`m able to be with them at the moment and usually the two children are around for some of this time - late afternoon into early evening.

Does them having a lot of treats affect their ability to lay eggs?

Does them having a lot of treats affect their ability to lay eggs?
Yes it does.

The layers pellets contain the optimum nutrients for laying and anything else can crowd this out.

I bet that if your girls are otherwise well, a few days being allowed only pellets till mid afternoon, some free ranging and no other treats other than a handful of something to lure them back in to the nest will make a big difference.

Hi there - just a wee note to let you all know how much the advice I received made all the difference to my confidence in keeping our girls.

We moved them off the grass onto the patio and cut out all treats except for a couple of grapes at night time.

My little Miss Plucky has started to lay daily - Tuesday was her first egg!

and Ginger has come back into lay.

So I felt better about my abilities in looking after them when I had gotten advice from some seasoned Keepers. Reading the books is a good Idea but a bit of reassurance and practical down to earth tips and been there advice is worth it`s weight in gold.

With a bit of luck we should have them all laying again soon - and then I`ll know we are doing a good job.

Mind you I think our daughter Megan - just turned 9 - singing to them may have helped - they seem to like it!! :lol:

thanks everyone

Just to let everyone know - our girls are in the pink and we just had our first 3 egg day since we got the girls what with the stops and starts.

The only drawback is that we were surfing freecycle in our area today and found an ad for 170 Ex Battery Hens looking for a good home.

Megan wants to adopt them all!

Trying to tell a big hearted 9yr old that we don`t have room even to adopt 2 of them in our 1 eglu is difficult.

I can tell we might be looking for additional accommodation and there might be more than 3 girls visiting in the kitchen in the future.

I`ll keep everyone informed. :wink: