I have noticed various posts over the past few weeks speaking about whether or not the Cube and run are actually big enough for the number of birds they say they fit. Many of these posts "quote" that they have "heard" that each bird needs 1 meter squared. I have just seen on the poultry club website that they actually say 1 foot squared per bird (large, with less needed for bantams). I think that this is where the confusion is coming from, mix up between meters and feet - a big difference. Hope this helps set minds at rest.

It's not just about the number of birds in your space!!!!

You also have to bear in mind whether you have a fixed run, or whether you are moving to fresh grass each day. It also depends on whether you are keeping the Girls in, or letting them out to free range.

If you are moving the run each day then you can get away with a higher density of birds.

If you girls are out free ranging all day, you can get away with a higher density of birds.

If your girls only get to free range for a couple of hours a day, you can't.

If your run is kept in one place, then you have to allow exponentially more space per bird.

My run is 2m x 4m (just under), and when I was speaking to Wernlas about it they told me I could keep *4* birds in a permanent run that size.

I have additional space as I have the Cube and run outside (joined to) my main run, and in total I reckkon I could get 5 birds in there without them starting to pick on each other.

Having watched the Girls during the first few weeks before we let them outside, I definitely wouldn't want any more in that sort of space.

I agree. Four hens in a Cube with standard run plus one extension is the maximum number if they are kept in most of the time. (Five might be possible if you choose small birds; and probably more again if you choose bantams.)

As for the Eglu, it may sleep four but you shouldn't have more than two hens unless you get one extra extension per hen.

I agree with you all that 1 foot squared seems too small and I am aiming for minimum 1meter squared when I build a walk-in run. I just wanted to point out the possible reason for discrepancy in figures that are sometimes quoted about space needed.

SAB, i'm sorry if it seemed like i was having a go at you, i really didn't mean to. :oops:

I was just appalled at the figures given by the Poultry Club, you'd think they would be more concerned about the welfare of the birds.

I know what you mean though Bronze, is does depend on the number of birds.

Just to muddy the waters further :lol:

I have also read the 1 square foot per bird rule, but this related to floor space in the hen house, not run space. I think this may also be what the poultry club is referring to.

Confusing isn't it?

1 metre square seems about right to me.

We haven't had anymore bloodshed since I built the new run.

Flurry is still feather pecking though :evil:

I'm going to have to nuke her with Yukkydex I think, that'l learn her :twisted:

Kev.

Helly Welly - as we say in Scotland "nae worries" - I did not think you were having a go. I was surprised too re Poultry club sizing but Cooperman's post may help clear this up.

It sounds like most of us "back garden" hen owners feel that 1 meter squared as a minimum is preferable and that type of bird is taken into account - this is interesting given that some in chickenland feel that us "small-time" chicken folk are lesser mortals - it sounds to me that we really do care for our chooks and want to do what is best for them.

I thought one of the much bandied about figs re battery farming was that each hen was allocated the space of an A4 sheet of paper (but that's just off the top of my head) - which to me sounds not too unlike around 1 sq foot. So I don't think any of us (and I'm not suggesting for a moment that anyone would here :D ) would want to go there. OK for sleeping I think but definitely not if you want to run around and stretch your wings - which is exactly what my ex-bats did frequently for the first couple of weeks until they realised that they could stretch their wings without restriction any time they felt like.

As for sleeping space, the cube is massive. I've got 2 'free-range since birth' plus 6 ex-bats. The ex-bats seem to prefer to sleep snuggled up in a big pile so nearly 3/4 of the cube is empty space at night - old habits die hard I guess!

Hilary

PS I feel stupid but what IS the right name for a 'non ex-bat'??!!

My 6 are not ex-batts, but still seem to bundle into 1/4 of the cube to sleep (though they seem to distribute their poo more equally across it!). They do make good use of the run plus extention, though and I intend to expand before adding any more.