urbanchook

Please Help - Fox Attack - Are my girls ever safe?

My hens were in the Eglu run at 2030 this evening when a fox attacked. I was lucky to be home, making dinner and - hearing the girls sounding the alarm - I raced out into the back garden to find the fox swiping at the chooks in the run. I yelled blue murder - but the fox was unphased. Brave fox. I got within feet of him/her before he/she turned and casually jumped the five-foot wooden fence around my yard.

The girls seem okay. They have no injuries that I can see, but they have lost feathers everywhere (is this normal?). Another thread on fox attacks suggested Bach's Rescue Remedy which i gave them, dribbled on some bits of bread ... They are now closed in the Eglu and tucked in for the night. Naturally, I'm concerned that the shock will catch up with them and they'll have a hard night.

Should I bring them inside? Is there anything else I can do to help them recover, or feel more secure?

I live in London, and work long days during the week. I keep the chooks in the closed Eglu at night, but let them into the run before I leave for work in the morning. They are normally alone, in the run, when I am away, and they have usually put themselves to bed by the time I get home at night. I realize that the fox is likely to be back, and I'm worried sick that it will happen when I am not home and not able to give chase.

Are the chooks safe ifrom attack n the Eglu run? Are there ways to deter the fox or make the run more secure?

I think we made it through this fox attack ... but it's the next one that has me worried. Any and all help appreciated. Thank you.

Oh no, Urbanchick, I'm sorry to hear that :shock: . What a fright you must've got :shock: . I'm glad your girls are OK but they will be a bit shaken.

I don't think the lost feathers are too much to worry about as long as they have no wounds. If they got a fright, their eggs might show the evidence - a missed day or odd shapes.

The eglu itself is fox-proof but the run is now described as fox-resistant. I believe this is because there have been hens got at through the mesh much like yours have been :( .

You might want to invest in a foxwatch (do a forum search for more info). Getting a man to wee round the garden is supposed to deter them too (but can't be relied on).

I'm sure you did the right thing giving them Bachs Rescue Remedy. Have a look at them tomorrow and see how they look. If there are no actual injuries they may be fine.

Thank you for the encouraging words.

This is the second serious fox attack we've had since Ginger and Mary Anne arrived last February. I suppose I consider myself lucky that we haven't seen more attacks or suffered worse consequences. It's still a shock, however. I want the girls to be as safe and secure as possibly. The very reason we invested in an Eglu in the first place. I'm so glad we did.

This morning I had 2 eggs and 2 bright eyed chooks waiting to be let out into the run. They seem to have a healthy appetite for pellets, tuna and sweetcorn. So, I take all this as a positive sign that the girls are recovering from last night's trauma. I'll continue to watch them closely for any signs of injury or upset I might not have seen straight away.

I wonder, do chickens ever "learn" about foxes - can they learn to recognize them as a threat and seek safety in the Eglu? Last night, I was amazed to see the girls trying to "peck" the fox through the run mesh, rather than trying to escape it. Brave chooks. I wonder if next time, they will recognize the fox as dangerous and try to get away?

I wonder, do chickens ever "learn" about foxes - can they learn to recognize them as a threat and seek safety in the Eglu? .. I wonder if next time, they will recognize the fox as dangerous and try to get away?

No, the chickens don't learn to stay away from a fox! :roll:

Mine were grabbed as they roosted leaning up against the wire mesh. The whole flock was distressed and terrified at the attack.

10 mins later, the hen that had lost feathers was leaning up against the fence in exactly the same place, incredible!

I decided that even though our fence protects them, I can't let the fox prowl the perimeter. They were calling at 5.30 :oops: next time they saw him, and although I've changed the interior to discourage roosting right next to the wire, they really would be dosy enough to stick their beaks through. The fox won't give up, so would presumably make an attempt every day.

So, I have installed a mains powered Foxwatch and the fox has not been back since. I know this as the hens had 2 mornings of attempts and had been calling at 5.30 either side of those 2 days.

Since the Foxwatch, no noise or sign of a fox returning. Highly recommended for keeping a fox away from the Eglus. 8)

(Olly's reply, posted at the same time, said it more succinctly! :lol: )

Thank you for the comments on Foxwatch. Seems that should be my next purchase. Is there any problem with having the Foxwatch around dogs? My Rottie spends a good deal of time in our back garden (in fact, it was she that finally chased the fox away last night). The websites I've looked at claim it won't affect dogs, but I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has Foxwatch and dogs. Thank you.

I heartily endorse what Olly and Sheila have said about the Foxwatch. I am in London too and the foxes were in and out of our garden before I ever had chickens. When my chickens arrived the foxes would climb on top of the Eglu and rip the plastic covers, they ruined two. I have never seen one since I installed a mains Foxwatch. Get one, it isn't the perfect answer, you still have to be vigilant, I wouldn't keep chickens unless I had one.

Tessa

Hello again. Thanks to your recommendations, I have just purchased a Foxwatch with a mains adaptor kit from Concept Research. Not sure how long delivery will take, but here's hoping I'll have it soon. I am in North West London - Near the A41. I would have thought foxes would avoid such busy areas, but apparently they've just adapted. I never kept chickens until I moved to London - so, I'm learning as I go.

I appreciate all of the advice and support from the Omlet forum and will let you know how Foxwatch works out for me.

PS: I noticed the same company (Concept Research) sells a pest controller for rats and mice. Does anyone know if it works? I have a growing family of rats near the chicens and suspect they are stealing the girls' food. I don't mind them terribly (they're very healthy, clean looking rats - almost cute). But, they're also starting to eat my veg. I've had no success with live traps - Any advice for controlling/deterring rats without poison?