cathybc Posted June 3, 2008 Share Posted June 3, 2008 another broody question I'm afraid. Harriet (soon to be renamed Voldemorta if she doesn't snap out of it soon !) is still broody. When I let the other two out for their wander round in the evening I push her off the nesting box. She comes out in a strop but does have a walk around. But - am I imagining it, or is the first thing she does is to deposit a humungous poo ??? Is it because she saves it up, rather than doing it in the nest box ???? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tessa the Duchess Posted June 3, 2008 Share Posted June 3, 2008 I also noticed my broody did the most enormous poos when I chucked her off the nest box. Honestly you would have thought they belonged to a Great Dane Tessa Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jills Posted June 3, 2008 Share Posted June 3, 2008 Mine did the same, quite disgusting! I'm sure I read somewhere that they won't go in the nest box when they're broody. Nessa is scratching around happily in the rain this morning. A little over 24 hours in the broody cage seems to have sorted her out. It's wonderful to have her back to 'normal'. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bondinho Posted June 3, 2008 Share Posted June 3, 2008 Yeah the broody poos are enormous! Out of interest, have any of you had more than one hen broody at the same time? If so, do you put them in a broody cage together? I've left Helga to herself but she is still broody 4 weeks later, and now Olga and Fina have gone broody too so I'm tempted to try either dunking in cold water, or possibly a broody cage but I'm less inclined to do that to be honest. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cathybc Posted June 3, 2008 Author Share Posted June 3, 2008 glad it isn't just my imagination ! I have very little broody experience, I have had the girls about 2 months, harriet is the first to go broody and has been so for a week. The other two are fine so far - but I think I might go with the broody cage if the others started - and certainly if it goes on much longer, she is like a chicken possessed now ! I hope none of my neighbours were watching me run round trying to catch her last night.......she is more like a bird of prey than a chook ! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chelsea Posted June 3, 2008 Share Posted June 3, 2008 yep mahoosive broody poos and they absolutely stink aswell! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TheCoop Posted June 3, 2008 Share Posted June 3, 2008 True!! They're massive and they stink!!! (Dolly is still broody...!! ) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chelsea Posted June 3, 2008 Share Posted June 3, 2008 (Dolly is still broody...!! ) So is Star I've lost count the number of weeks now. I've come to the conclusion she might be broody forever you know! The good thing about being broody is no egg annoucements = fairly quiet garden at the mo. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Helen&Lee Posted June 3, 2008 Share Posted June 3, 2008 Out of interest, have any of you had more than one hen broody at the same time? If so, do you put them in a broody cage together I currently have 3 broodys I did have four at the same time - but Doris, who went broody before the others came out of it. The other three have been broody for an age - I haven't counted but would estimate around 9 weeks I think at least one of them is only a bit broody but is just staying with the other two because of the company I haven't tried a broody cage because I thought I would just let them get on with it - but I have a cage being prepared... First, I'm going to try the ice blocks again. as I think this time it would be enough to snap two of them out of it leaving one for the broody cage. Helen Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TheCoop Posted June 4, 2008 Share Posted June 4, 2008 (Dolly is still broody...!! ) So is Star I've lost count the number of weeks now. I've come to the conclusion she might be broody forever you know! I know EXACTLY what you mean!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted June 4, 2008 Share Posted June 4, 2008 Bit of a hijack but those of you who have used broody cages, can I ask if the hens are able to perch on the wire of the cage. My new cage has quite wide square gaps between the wire bits & I'm concerned it would hurt their feet . Can I put a small set of roosting bars in there or would that make them too comfy? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beach chick Posted June 4, 2008 Share Posted June 4, 2008 mine just perch, but I did put chicken wire over the crate on some sides where the gaps were wider (it's a dog crate). she seems fine in there (wish she'd snap out of it tho!!) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...